Safe edible for enclosure?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386552064.466934.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386552077.266156.jpg
I don't know if it's labeled correctly or not.
Is this safe for my Leo enclosure?

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Is it from the Cactus Collection? If it is, it probably is labeled correctly. I looked it up, and it is a cross between an echeveria (safe to feed) and pachyphytum (safe to feed in moderation). I assume it would be fine to use for landscaping, but I am not completely sure.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
It was next to the aloe Vera plants at sprouts. They had a couple of different types of succulents.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Excellent! Thanks y'all!
Will it handle the humidity of the chamber? Do I need to keep it in "rocky soil" as it says to? Is peat/coconut coir totally wrong as soil it it? Should I keep it potted?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Succulent plants like to have their roots on the dry side, so I would keep it in the pot and only water when dry. They also love to be in full sun, so might not do too well indoors. But they are pretty much disposable. Just use it while you can, then buy a new one.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Yvonne G said:
Succulent plants like to have their roots on the dry side, so I would keep it in the pot and only water when dry. They also love to be in full sun, so might not do too well indoors. But they are pretty much disposable. Just use it while you can, then buy a new one.

Ok, thank you.
I will keep it on the mvb side and see how it goes. I'll bury the pot a little so they aren't knocking it over. Do I need to wash it? Is that even possible? I got it at sprouts so I'm unsure of the status of chemicals that may have been sprayed on them.

kjr153

5 Year Member
How long are you waiting before feeding to your torts? I have this problem when I buy plants from the store. I don't know if they've had fertilizer and how long to wait to feed.

My concern is the fertilizer in the dirt that will be in the plant, not the spray.
kjr153 said:
How long are you waiting before feeding to your torts? I have this problem when I buy plants from the store. I don't know if they've had fertilizer and how long to wait to feed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have a member here who works at a commercial nursery and says that systemic fertilizers can remain in the plants tissues for up to a year. The thing is, how do you know if they used a commercial pesticide while growing these succulents. With most plants its safe to assume they are loaded with chemicals, but sometimes not with succulents. I wouldn't take the sellers word for it.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
That brings me to another question. Organic foods vs conventional.
I feed my family organic foods as often as the budget allows and I follow the dirty dozen and the clean 15 as often as I can because I know conventional foods are heavily sprayed with glyphosate and fungicides. I wash all of our produce in vinegar water before it's eaten. I have been treating my tortoises in a similar fashion. I have been mostly buying organic spring mix and leafy greens. I also avoid GMO's by choosing organics. Our human bodies are so much bigger than a tiny reptiles body so I worry about the toxin load of conventional greens. So should I avoid edible enclosure plants that I can't guarantee haven't been sprayed or fertilized since I tend to avoid conventionally grown foods anyways?
I assumed succulents to be sprayed less but I could be totally off base. But fertilizers...I have little knowledge about nursery plants and fertilizer use. :0/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its no so much the sprays. Those wash off and dissipate fairly quickly. Its the systemic granules that they mix in to the soil to be picked up and distributed by the roots.

I know of no one that has had a problem from feeding their tortoise any foods that are deemed safe for human consumption.