Russians in the wild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
Does anyone know of a site that contains any info on Russian tortoises in the wild? Pictures? info on their natural habitat? I haven't been able to find much.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Have you poked around this site?

http://russiantortoise.org/

It is found in Afghanistan, Northern Pakistan, Northern and Eastern Iran, North Western China and the Soviet territory Kazakhstan. Most Russian Tortoises found in the pet trade are from the territory of Uzbekistan. Its habitats are dry open landscapes. It is most commonly found in sand and clay deserts with sparse grasses and bushes. Russian tortoises are rarely found in dense grassy areas or cultivated fields (Paraskiv,1956; Kuzmin, 2001).

In its natural habitat the Russian tortoise is active only a few months of the year. It comes out of hibernation in mid-March and actively forages and mates until mid-June. During the hottest parts of summer it aestvates. In Uzbekistan it hibernates from October through March.

It is most active in the early morning and early evening, retreating to its burrows during the hottest portion of the day. Russian tortoises are most active when the temperatures range 20-32°C (Atayev. 1985).

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
Yea I've read all that. I would just like to see some pictures, and video footage of them in there natural habitat. Actual studies conducted of them in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.