Russian tortoise shell flaking

Nugget1994

Hi again, I posted on here earlier about my Russian tortoise being ver inactive and not moving very much. However, I cannot seem to find that post... Anyway, Nugget is now much more mobile and seems happier, however his shell concerns me... attached are some pics of it, is this shell rot? or calcium deficiency? these spots were not there 2-3 days ago...

Attachments

• IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0825 (1).jpg
    IMG_0825 (1).jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 79

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your first post is under "Tortoise Health:"

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/post-820838.html#pid820838

I think I'm going to move this one to "Tortoise Health" too.

It's hard to tell from a picture if that shell rot is old or active. Does it smell? Take a soft bristle brush and clean it out real good with warm water. Then dry it off and paint it one time only with Betadine. The next day, you can clean it with Nolvesan. And after that you can treat the area with athlete foot cream. Even if it is not active shell rot, the foot cream won't be harmful.

I was referring to the spots on the plastron in my above post. The spots on the carapace look like old injury that is flaking off with new growth showing underneath - but the pictures are sort of blurry, and I can't be sure.

Nugget1994

Yvonne G said:

It's hard to tell from a picture if that shell rot is old or active. Does it smell? Take a soft bristle brush and clean it out real good with warm water. Then dry it off and paint it one time only with Betadine. The next day, you can clean it with Nolvesan. And after that you can treat the area with athlete foot cream. Even if it is not active shell rot, the foot cream won't be harmful.

I was referring to the spots on the plastron in my above post. The spots on the carapace look like old injury that is flaking off with new growth showing underneath - but the pictures are sort of blurry, and I can't be sure.

Thanks for moving it to the correct area, I was not sure about where to put the posts... Where would I find the betadine and nolvesan? Dont remember seeing them at the local pet store (petco). The spots don't smell and are solid, no softness, and the "grit" in them is just sand. There was no indication of this just a couple days ago though, just showed up after he had been laying around not doing much. Does shell rot move that rapidly?

Nugget1994

Yvonne G said:

The spots do not smell and are solid to the touch, no softness at all. The underside just showed up in the past couple days after he had been really lazy and not moving much.. Does shell rot spread this fast?? I am more concerned with his underside as that just showed up very recently.