Russian tortoise growth

leanneb85

5 Year Member
Hey guys
Just wondering how quickly a tortoise grows. My Russian seems to only have grown about an inch in 2 and half years is this normal?

leanneb85

5 Year Member
Hi. You need to give more info. Was this a baby or a adult.
The pet shop I bought him from told me he was around 18 months old. Which would now make him 4 years old. He has only grown an inch in that time. When I see pics of other tortoises they seem so much bigger than him He weighs 222g .

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
What are his other measurements? Is he 4 inches long? 5 inches long? Pet stores often don’t have a clue how old the tortoises are. They like to tell people that they are young or babies when they may actually be adults.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's different in the UK. The pet stores have paperwork, right? So the age is probably correct, however, from trying to see him in your small avatar he really does look a lot older.

valleysgirl2

wales
Yvonne yes you are right I'm in the UK and it Is different..when u get your tortoise from a pet stores here they have paperwork and are microchipped I have paperwork with my tortoise

leanneb85

5 Year Member
What are his other measurements? Is he 4 inches long? 5 inches long? Pet stores often don’t have a clue how old the tortoises are. They like to tell people that they are young or babies when they may actually be adults.
He's 4 inches long . Was 3 inches when I bought him .