1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Russian Tortoise Carrots

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by RussianMax, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RussianMax

RussianMax New Member

My russian tortoise absolutely loves eating carrots. He will always eat them over any other food on his tray. We usually serve his chopped carrots in small pieces so he can eat them easily. Occasionally we might give a carrot from chicken soup since they're soft and easy for him to bite into.

Is this normal/will it affect his health?

2. karleyreed

karleyreed New Member

If he's finding it difficult biting into the chunks of carrot, grate them. I grate mine, aswel as pumpkin squash and parsnips for my Tort, breaks them down more making them easier to eat. However from the knowledge I have gathered, none of these things should be part of a daily diet, it should be varied from day to day. Occasionally giving these things.

3. TortoiseBoy1999

TortoiseBoy1999 Active Member

When you give him some from the chicken soup, is the soup seasoned? Does it have cheese? If so, he probably shouldn't be having any of those seasonings as well as the cheese. So in other words, you probably shouldn't be feeding the carrots from the soup.