Russian Tortoise & calcium?

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I am not sure about the age of my tortoise..he's a bout 4 inches long. I have UVB/heat lighting and he eats a mix of Spring Mix, Mustard greens, collard greens, and turnip greens, thyme sometimes, working on growing more weeds as we speak. For him, would sprinkling cuttlebone on his food once a week be good enough or do I need to buy some more supplements for him?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
If he is not gettimg out in the sun a couple hours a week then I would suggest calcium with d3. Small pinch twice a week is what I give my russian in the fall and winter. I use cuttlebone twice a week when weathers nice

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Yea sun won't be much of an option here with our winters, I just didn't know if the UVB completely replaces natural sun. I'll pick up some calcium with d3 then, thanks. :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Careful when you put it on, though! They are smart and won't eat it if they see/smell/taste it on their greens... :p Tricky little torts!

Tyanna

Wisconsin
So far mine doesn't even notice the cuttlebone so I'm hoping he's the same way with this stuff, thanks for the heads up! LOL