Russian enclosure

Macy Fidler

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425060337.827103.jpg
This is currently my Russian's cage. It isn't where it should be , I know, so I need help. The pink lamp is just a regular lamp with a bulb in it so he will have light on the left side. Without it, the cage is dark on one side. The bulb on the right is an MVB... UVA+UVB light. So the problem is, without the desk lamp, one side will be complete darkness for him. What do I do? Because I am not sure he is supposed to have a regular light bulb in his cage.

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
what are your temperatures? How old is he. did you read the care sheets on Russians? Does he have a water dish and a food dish? food should not be directly on the substrate. a flat rock or tile is good for feeding. A water dish needs to be bigger than the tortoise and sunk into the substrate so he can get in and out with out any problems. A great water dish is a terra cotta plant saucer that is bigger than the tortoise.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
A regular light buld is fine as long as it is not making the enclosure too warm. It's not a coil bulb right?

Macy Fidler

what are your temperatures? How old is he. did you read the care sheets on Russians? Does he have a water dish and a food dish? food should not be directly on the substrate. a flat rock or tile is good for feeding. A water dish needs to be bigger than the tortoise and sunk into the substrate so he can get in and out with out any problems. A great water dish is a terra cotta plant saucer that is bigger than the tortoise.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Under basking it's 95-100, on the other end is in the high 70's.
He is about 7.
He has both, I was currently cleaning his terra cotta water bowl lol. He makes such a mess in it every hour. He drug his food up there , he is very messy. He climbs in his food bowl and gets dirt all in it and I don't know how to prevent that. But thanks!

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Under basking it's 95-100, on the other end is in the high 70's.
He is about 7.
He has both, I was currently cleaning his terra cotta water bowl lol. He makes such a mess in it every hour. He drug his food up there , he is very messy. He climbs in his food bowl and gets dirt all in it and I don't know how to prevent that. But thanks!
when I am done with my project I will post pictures. I am building a second floor for mine to eat on ( I won't get him till next month so I am just playing with his stuff) I think this might help me with keeping his enclosure and food a bit cleaner. :)

Macy Fidler

when I am done with my project I will post pictures. I am building a second floor for mine to eat on ( I won't get him till next month so I am just playing with his stuff) I think this might help me with keeping his enclosure and food a bit cleaner. :)
THATS AN AWESOME IDEA!!! I want to see it when you're done!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You have made a good start on your enclosure. I would move the boards a little farther apart, just enough to support the light fixture so that your tortoise can get all The UVB possible. your food bowl is fine as long as his beak doesn't get too long, if it does then you can feed him on a slate or terra-cotta tile. keep the substrate slightly moist but not wet. is the flowerpot buried halfway in under the substrate? He will like to dig in there. You can add some plants in pots, Russians are tough on plants so if you put them directly into the substrate he will probably destroy them quickly :) you can use a plastic or terra-cotta plant saucer buried level with the substrate for a water bowl. I personally do not have a water bowl in my Russian tortoises enclosure, I soak my tortoise every other day for 20 to 30 minutes. this is not a normal recommendation I'm just giving you one option that works. As long as you are diligent about soaking and keeping the substrate slightly moist. my tortoise never went into his water bowl or drink out of it that I saw five so you were it was taking up more space in the small enclosure then I liked. But again this is not the normal recommendation. it is totally fine to use a regular lightbulb so that one end of the enclosure is not dark. Even a 40 W bulb works fine. The MVB is providing heat. you should have a hide on the warm and and the cool and of the enclosure so your tortoise can choose. you can also make hills in the terrain to give your tortoise more variety, and use plants rocks etc. as site barriers to make it feel bigger to the tortoise. if they can't see from one end to the other then it feels bigger to them. if you have the space you can connect to of those bins together with a little PVC tunnel between the two. Just provide UVB and heat in both sides.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Those little dial some monitors are not very accurate. if you're having difficulty keeping the heat and humidity right you can cover part of the enclosure. A temperature gun is also handy to check in different areas of the enclosure.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425063972.837709.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425064016.903506.jpg
Here are examples, but there are others. These are relatively inexpensive, $10 each.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
i love the tem
Those little dial some monitors are not very accurate. if you're having difficulty keeping the heat and humidity right you can cover part of the enclosure. A temperature gun is also handy to check in different areas of the enclosure.View attachment 119958View attachment 119960
Here are examples, but there are others. These are relatively inexpensive, $10 each.
I love the temp. gun where did you find it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay Macy. You came here and asked for advice, so here it comes.
1. First and foremost, that enclosure is much too small. Two of those put together is still too small. Russians need room to move. Lots of room. You need to go bigger.
2. The light fixtures need to be hung from over head. What you have there is VERY dangerous. Not just for your tortoise, but you are in serious danger of burning your whole house down. I am not being overly dramatic here. Reptile heat lamps are a major cause of house fires. Ask any fireman. Any one who has been keeping reptiles with heat lamps for a while will tell you this too. We've all had close calls, and/or disasters. Hot bulbs resting on wood is a major fire hazard. Suspend those lamps from over head. This makes it easier to get the correct temperature under them too.
3. Your substrate is too dry and there is not enough of it. It also needs to be hand packed down. Too loose.
4. I can't see what you are feeding there, but it looks like Kale and possibly turnip greens? Grocery store foods are not the best for them. Try to find more safe weeds and leaves.
5. Regular light bulbs are fine. Use as many as you need, but watch those temperatures.

Your tortoise looks great. Very attractive carapace. These tips will help to keep him/her healthy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree with tom on the size to small. Bigger is always better. Remember in the wild a russian's territory is usually sevberal square miles.

Macy Fidler

Okay Macy. You came here and asked for advice, so here it comes.
1. First and foremost, that enclosure is much too small. Two of those put together is still too small. Russians need room to move. Lots of room. You need to go bigger.
2. The light fixtures need to be hung from over head. What you have there is VERY dangerous. Not just for your tortoise, but you are in serious danger of burning your whole house down. I am not being overly dramatic here. Reptile heat lamps are a major cause of house fires. Ask any fireman. Any one who has been keeping reptiles with heat lamps for a while will tell you this too. We've all had close calls, and/or disasters. Hot bulbs resting on wood is a major fire hazard. Suspend those lamps from over head. This makes it easier to get the correct temperature under them too.
3. Your substrate is too dry and there is not enough of it. It also needs to be hand packed down. Too loose.
4. I can't see what you are feeding there, but it looks like Kale and possibly turnip greens? Grocery store foods are not the best for them. Try to find more safe weeds and leaves.
5. Regular light bulbs are fine. Use as many as you need, but watch those temperatures.

Your tortoise looks great. Very attractive carapace. These tips will help to keep him/her healthy.

I cannot find a stand that will hold up the lamps.
And I read straight from a care sheet online that turnip greens and kale are great for russian tortoises.

Macy Fidler

You have made a good start on your enclosure. I would move the boards a little farther apart, just enough to support the light fixture so that your tortoise can get all The UVB possible. your food bowl is fine as long as his beak doesn't get too long, if it does then you can feed him on a slate or terra-cotta tile. keep the substrate slightly moist but not wet. is the flowerpot buried halfway in under the substrate? He will like to dig in there. You can add some plants in pots, Russians are tough on plants so if you put them directly into the substrate he will probably destroy them quickly :) you can use a plastic or terra-cotta plant saucer buried level with the substrate for a water bowl. I personally do not have a water bowl in my Russian tortoises enclosure, I soak my tortoise every other day for 20 to 30 minutes. this is not a normal recommendation I'm just giving you one option that works. As long as you are diligent about soaking and keeping the substrate slightly moist. my tortoise never went into his water bowl or drink out of it that I saw five so you were it was taking up more space in the small enclosure then I liked. But again this is not the normal recommendation. it is totally fine to use a regular lightbulb so that one end of the enclosure is not dark. Even a 40 W bulb works fine. The MVB is providing heat. you should have a hide on the warm and and the cool and of the enclosure so your tortoise can choose. you can also make hills in the terrain to give your tortoise more variety, and use plants rocks etc. as site barriers to make it feel bigger to the tortoise. if they can't see from one end to the other then it feels bigger to them. if you have the space you can connect to of those bins together with a little PVC tunnel between the two. Just provide UVB and heat in both sides.
LOVE your comment!!! I am going to take your advice heavily!!! Thank you so much!!!

Macy Fidler

Those little dial some monitors are not very accurate. if you're having difficulty keeping the heat and humidity right you can cover part of the enclosure. A temperature gun is also handy to check in different areas of the enclosure.View attachment 119958View attachment 119960
Thank you!!! I will have to invest in one of these.