Ruby and Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Well I showed Ruby to Dale the other day. I wanted to take their picture so I could post it, but when I put Dale down he started bobbing his head like I've never seen him do before up and down and then he started going towards Ruby. I put her butt towards him because for a minute it reminded me of when dogs meet each other for the first time. I think what Dale was doing was smelling her. I didn't leave him there for long and I thought Ruby might be afraid when she saw Dale, but no she was not. She walked right past him without looking the least bit afraid. Just like dogs I'm telling you. Most puppies wouldn't know that the big dog might hurt him either. :D :p

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I think the head bobbing is somewhat of a mystery, but it comes into play when they mate as well as other "social" interactions. In my observations of first encounters between redfoots this is a normal reaction and nothing to be alarmed about. Just keep a close watch on them for the first few days. Good luck! :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
What a cute story :D. Ruby ignored Dale!!! I hope she knows they are future soulmate :p (I know Ruby is still a little baby :D). Since how long Dale did not see another tortoise?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy said:
Well I showed Ruby to Dale the other day. I wanted to take their picture so I could post it, but when I put Dale down he started bobbing his head like I've never seen him do before up and down and then he started going towards Ruby. I put her butt towards him because for a minute it reminded me of when dogs meet each other for the first time. I think what Dale was doing was smelling her. I didn't leave him there for long and I thought Ruby might be afraid when she saw Dale, but no she was not. She walked right past him without looking the least bit afraid. Just like dogs I'm telling you. Most puppies wouldn't know that the big dog might hurt him either. :D :p

Nothing abnormal/mysterious about that:

"Another tortoise in my 'hood'.. it's a redfoot!.. I'll act like a DUDE.. wonder if it's a girl? ( sniff-sniff ).. don't know.. I'm gonna keep an eye on this.. so it doesn't steal my groceries!"!

NERD

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Redfoot NERD said:
Candy said:

"Another tortoise in my 'hood'.. it's a redfoot!.. I'll act like a DUDE.. wonder if it's a girl? ( sniff-sniff ).. don't know.. I'm gonna keep an eye on this.. so it doesn't steal my groceries!"!

NERD

Haha Terry, I think that's the most playful you've ever been :p

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Isa, we got Dale 1 year ago Christmas Eve. Yes we are just loving having Ruby she is adorable. I can only imagine how cute Dale must have been as a baby tortoise.

Terry that was a good one. I've got to agree with Jordan. :D Although I think tortoises probably know even if they're babies if ones a female or not don't you? :p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Candy said:
Terry that was a good one. I've got to agree with Jordan. :D Although I think tortoises probably know even if they're babies if ones a female or not don't you? :p

I am not sure I would bet on that- even with my little herd I have seen the teen boys try to mount other males, although there are a lot of possible reasons for that sort of behavior.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
You might be right Madkins. I don't know since it's the animal world it hard to say. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

NERD

Steal my groceries.....I couldn't stop laughing!
Oh Candy, I wish you took some pictures. It was their first meeding. You need pictures for your Dale and Ruby album.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I'm ready to see photos just to compare size between big Dale and little Ruby. :p

Also, I hope your husband is building a nice enclosure for Ruby...we wouldn't want any hard feelings over apparent favoritism! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.