Redfoot meeting ritual (Dale and Ruby)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I just wanted to post a video of Dale and Ruby coming into contact with each other about two weeks ago in Dale's enclosure. I am always there when I have Ruby in with Dale because she is too little to be left alone with him. I was talking on the phone with Douglas (Elegans) telling him about what Dale was doing and he said that it was probably just a dominating thing not a mating thing. He said that Redfoots have a ritual that they go through when they meet each other. If you listen really closely you can hear Dale making this certain noise when he gets close to Ruby. Here's one new picture of Dale hiding under his tree in his enclosure. Enjoy.

DSC00647.jpg

Here's the video of Dale and Ruby

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Dang! I've tried it twice now and only got to see about the first ten seconds before it stops to "buffer" and never starts again. :(

Dale's head bobbing sure looked funny though, and he is HUGE compared to little Ruby. They grow so fast *SIGH*! :rolleyes:

I hope to see some more photos of Eddie soon, too. :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm sorry Stephanie that happened to you. I tried it right now and it worked for me. I wonder if it's because it's off of my computer. Did you try to double click on the video? Dale is a lot bigger then Ruby though that's true. I will be posting more pictures of her soon. :D Can someone else let me know if the video doesn't work for them either? Thank you. Candy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor little Ruby. Dale REALLY doesn't want that stranger around, does he?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
No and don't worry because I don't put her in there only that one time. Cal's going to build another outdoor enclosure for the babies. :D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Candy, let me start by telling you that Dale and Ruby are 2 beautiful tortoises :D They look super healty, you are doing an amazing job with them. Wow this video is super intersting, It is the first time I hear this noise, and did you see the way Dale was smelling Ruby's shell. Did I miss something:D :D? You just said that Cal is going to build another outdoor enclosure for the BABIES?? Does it mean that you will add new members to your reptile family :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Isa. Ruby is only about a year old and Eddie is 6 months old now so I'd rather put them together since there's only a slight size difference between them.

Thanks Jill I'm glad it played for you.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Candy, I just saw the thread about you presenting little Eddie :D I am very happy for you and your family, I am sure you guys will have a lot of fun with your reptiles :D and they are very happy to be part of your family :D

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
That still photo of Dale is perfect. That needs to go in a book on tortoises. He's a beaut!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I want you to know I posted that photo of Dale on the Smart Board in my class today (2nd grade) and the kids loved it! They wanted to know how he got the red spot on his nose!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Harris, that was in his outdoor enclosure and he was hiding under his palm tree.

Stephanie that is so cute thanks for doing that. Now Dale's famous in two schools. I also have him posted in my office at my school. I also have a photo album that I bring to show all of them. :D Kids just love learning about tortoises, but 8 out of 10 always think that they're turtles. :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Candy that video was so great. I loved it. And that first picture.....a contest winner!! Dale is one of the best looking Cherries I've ever seen. All your torts will grow up to look like "show tortoises" because of the great care that you give them.

Status
Not open for further replies.