RT Christmas Surprise

Fincayra

Hello TF! I'm Fin from Colorado, and for Christmas I bought my roommate a Russian tortoise- he's been wanting one for years! Before you think all of this was on a whim, several weeks of planning and research went into this decision. I ordered a male tortoise online from Backwater Reptiles and everything went smoothly. He arrived just in time for Christmas! My roommate named him Gimli after the dwarf in Lord of the Rings (we've been watching the series as well as The Hobbit together).

Gimli lives in a 42x21x18 storage container until I can build him a proper table. He's currently on a 50/50 mix of top soil and ground walnut shells sold at Petco. The shells often stick to his food (so far I've fed him a mix of romaine lettuce, turnip greens, and spinach) and I've seen him ingest some of it. Could this be harmful to him?

He is shy, but he eats and poops and appears fairly healthy. Except that he seems lethargic and burrows a lot. I read somewhere that he might be trying to hibernate. Is he still getting used to the new environment, or is he reacting to the winter season? I gave him a good soak this morning, but he seemed to be asleep in the shallow water. Is it normal for tortoises to sleep this much?

Attachments

• Christmas '14 2.png
    Christmas '14 2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! read this entire are sheet it has really good info, http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
most of a russian torts diet should be nontoxic weeds you find out side like mallow and dandelions, variety is the key to a healthy tort. put his food on a rock and that will help less substate get on his food. yes around this time russian torts are hibernating, hibernation is not mandatory but if you want to hibernate him wait a year to see if he is healthy enough. he just got into a new environment he will he a little stressed out and hide a lot. can you post some pictures of the enclosure, and the tort? what type of light are you using? what are the basking spot temps and cool side temps? whats the cage humidity?

Fincayra

Thanks for the advice. I put his food on a tupperware lid but a lot of the times the substrate gets stuck to his claws and he often breaks the lettuce with them while eating and that's how the shells get stuck.

I don't think I'll be attempting hibernation for a few years at least! I don't want to risk the tortoise's health and I hear it's not necessary to keep him happy, anyway.

I'm using a PowerSun 100 watt UVB bulb and a 100 watt basking bulb. His temps on the hot side are 85-90 (90-93 basking) and 78-80 on the cool side. I'm not sure what his humidity should be at. Should I spray the substrate every day?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
all tortoises need humidity, a russian tort will do well in 50%+ humidity, just get a couple cups of water and mix it into the substrate. he should be fed on a rock with a rough surface so his beak naturally wears down. do you have a water bowl in his enclosure? pics of the cage will really help:p.

Fincayra

I uploaded a couple of pictures to my last post. They weren't there before because I had a bit of a struggle with my iPhone in the beginning, haha.

There is a bowl. I'm afraid it's a bit dirty in the picture, but I was just about to clean it out. At that moment Gimli woke up and was waiting expectantly at the food plate so I thought I would feed him first.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Fin, and welcome to the forum!

Please remove your substrate right away and discard it. Ground walnut shells might cause impaction when ingested. Not only that, but if they've used black walnut shells, they are toxic.

Fincayra

Thanks, everyone! I will change the substrate as soon as I can pick up more top soil from Home Depot. I replaced the tupperware lid with something a little more solid so his beak will stay trim. His home is looking that much nicer. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11