Rhodedendron - How Toxic? (Redfoots vs. Flowers)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I'm just curious, I try to keep my tortoises from eating things they shouldn't, but we have a rhodedendron at our new house and I've seen a couple of them non chalantly taste the flowers. They don't touch the leaves and they aren't eating multiple flowers. Do I need to fence off the plant?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As ever The Tortoise Table Plant Database is the place to find this out

Almost all Rhododendrons produce harmful grayanotoxins which block normal muscle function, and can cause heart failure and damage nerve function. The TOXIN is present in all parts of the plant, including leaves, flowers and pollen.

Rhododendrons and their close relatives, Azaleas, should therefore not be fed to tortoises, and care should be taken that they are not grown anywhere near the tortoise enclosure in case leaves or flowers accidently fall into the enclosure.

Rhododendrons have larger leaves than Azaleas and usually have 10 stamens rather than 5 in the smaller leaved Azalea shrub.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=347#.WQpME2jTXo4

I interpret that as very toxic

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Well crud. Up goes the fence. They never touched it at the old place, but we didn't live there long enough for it to flower.