rheostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer

5 Year Member
I would think it would vary depending on the air flow which would be directly impacted by the height of the enclosure walls and the amount of area you are tying to heat. I know my 100w at 10 inches away raises the temp in my enclosure from 84 in the morning to almost 92 over the basking area by afternoon. Heat raises so the sooner it can escapes over the top of the enclosure then the increase would be slower and vice/versa.

Your mileage may vary,

Brian

chadk

10 Year Member!
You'll save a bit by just getting one at your local hardware store. About 5-10 bucks I think.

You need to couple it with some sort of decent thermometer. A temp gun would be ideal. But a good digital probe type would also work. Measure right under the CHE on top of the substrate. Then, you adjust the dimmer \ rheostat up or down depending on your desired result. Be sure to wait up to an hour though to be sure the temp is stable before adjusting.

TheACO731

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The OC
A 150w CE will give off a lot of heat and heat up very fast. I use an Alife thermostat that has a temp control dial. I use a thermometer to verify temp. I found that the 150w 12" away would keep turning off and on as it heated up so quickly. I switched to 60w and it's a more constant heat and stays at 80-85 no prob. CE's are great last a long time and more reliable then a bulb type heater, but they are fragile, where the ceramic meets the metal screw end. if you twist to tight screwing it in it will break! or if you bump the housing it will break! The remote thermometer is great I keep it by my bedside, it has an alarm if the temp drops below or goes above temp range that I set.

Attachments

• DSC00312.JPG
    DSC00312.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.