RES's long road to recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomWiktor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Close to a month ago, I found a red eared slider on death's door by a local pond. Dehydrated and emaciated, the little fellow had terrible skin lessions, shell rot to the bone, an upper respiratory infection, and massively infected eyes. I am a wildlife rehabber & exotics rescuer, and couldn't bear leaving him there to die - but my turtle experience is minimal at best. Yet because he was a non-native, common, and undesirable species, I had one heck of a time finding people to help. I had a vet flat out refuse to treat it, a local turtle "lover" claim that I should let it die since it is essentially not worth the money and effort to treat, and several rehabbers refuse assistence.

Finally, a GREAT local rehabber helped me out with medicating, force feeding (he wouldn't eat), and other handy treatment tips. I'm happy to say that the turtle is on the fast track to recovery: mostly healed eyes, no URI, self-feeding on a good variety of foods, skin lessions healing, etc. The main issue now is keeping a dilligent watch on his remaining shell rot - and "turtle physical therapy." Between having been starved and then too sick to have interest in swimming or walking much, the lil bugger is a very weak swimmer. I've been working on that with him and he's gradually getting the hang of it again.

This is what he looked like on arrival an hour after his eyes had been treated; yeah, the one eye re-filled with pus that quickly. Both eyes were initially just this massively swollen crust red globs with pus oozing out between the eyelids.
turtle.jpg

meteor.jpg

Him today. His shell is still a mess like above & is presently my biggest worry, but I'm hoping that scrubs and daily "dry time" out in the sun soaking up UVB will help.
eyesd.jpg

He's slowly starting to realize that I'm not JUST the nasty person who injects him with antibiotics and medicates his eyes and wounds, but the person who brings to food. I feel very honored when he comes out of hiding in my presence! I very badly want this turtle to live. I've only had him a month but I'm 110% ready to give him the best life I possibly can after all he's been through.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! What a wonderful thing you're doing for that turtle! What state do you live in?

I'll bet his previous owners kept him in an aquarium of dirty water with little to no food, and no heat. When they realized he was so sick they just dumped him. Thank goodness you were there to save him. I give him a very good chance of making it. Have you named him? And are you sure he's a boy? From what I can see of the front claws, they don't look very long.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know how hardy RES are so I have to wonder how this guy was treated to get that far?

RandomWiktor

5 Year Member
Alabama
emy, I agree with your analysis of what happened. The pond he was dumped in has a history of people releasing non-natives including goldfish, koi, turtles of all sorts, exotic ducks and geese, etc. because the land it is on is owned by a monastary. I guess everyone assumes the monks will look after the animals, but they're men of faith, not animal husbandry experts. I live in NY btw so Mr. RES definitely doesn't belong here - though we do have some invasive populations. Not 100% sure on the turtle's gender - we actually had a debate about it on another forum because this lil buggers tail and nails seemed to be about in the middle length-wise. And its name is Eta Aquarids (or Eta for short) after the May meteor shower due to his shell looking a bit like it's been hit by meteors. ;)

dmmj, exactly. Someone must have really, REALLY neglected the poor thing; I imagine no or an insufficient haul-out, dirty water, no heat, bad diet as he has the hallmarks of all of the above.

mightyclyde

5 Year Member
California
What a great story, to make a difference in the life of another. I see that you are finding meaning by rescuing this little guy. Thankyou for passing along a good feeling to the rest of us! :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
To get rid of the fungus, you can do a daily ritual of cleaning the area first with a soft toothbrush dipped in Betadine, rinsing and then putting a 1% Clotrimazole anti-fungus cream on the infected areas with a Q-Tip. Keep him dry for a few hours after each treatment, and that should clear up in no time. I've done this many times with water turtles, and once with my Redfoot. I think it's a wonderful thing you are doing and am sure you will be rewarded many times over once he is well and you can appreciate what great personalities these guys have.

Status
Not open for further replies.