Rescued TWO Hermann's Tortoises!

yosnaps

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hello Everyone!

We are new tortoise parents. We rescued these two Hermann's Tortoises from a pet shop in our city. They were left on their door step overnight. One of them (the smaller one) is definitely a boy (he showed us his penis during a soak 🙈). We believe the bigger one is female. On our drive home the male was mounting the female, my kids found this hilarious. They have some obvious health concerns like pyramiding on their shell, it is pretty bad. The male is somewhat active and can walk on all 4's but the female struggles, so possible MBD. We live in Los Angeles so they are getting sunshine all day long. For now, we have them in our yard during the day and then bring them in at night to sleep because we have not yet built a secure house for them to be safe from other critters. My kids are madly in love already and are taking care of their food. Any good tips to bring these two back to health would be greatly appreciated!Screen Shot 2024-03-20 at 9.53.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-20 at 9.54.03 PM.png

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

Great photos! And beautiful tortoises!

You may check this post to get a "baseline" on their care: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ (and temperate species care sheet at the end of it).

You are definitely on a right track to keep them healthy and thriving. Perhaps, with right diet, natural sun and regular bathing they will perk up on their own. As you are concerned about female having a MBD - you may increase calcium supplements for her to twice a week and try "hydrotherapy" if she won't start walking on all four legs soon.

Out of urgent things to do, I guess, you need to keep them separated at all times. The male will always try to mate the female ignoring if she's "in the mood". This will end up with stress or injuries.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Welcome from another Angelino! What region of LA are you in? Just because the Valley has a different microclimate than Santa Monica as an example, there are a number of us from the area who can help advise you on outdoor enclosures, but knowing which region you are in will help. I’ve attached a photo of my backyard enclosure in case it is helpful (I’m in the SFV). This is 10x12 and is for just one tortoise.

The link Alex gave you is the best place to start. The biggest thing you need is to keep them separate always. Tortoises cannot be in pairs one will always bully the other whether they are male female or two males. You are going to need two enclosures day and night, and two sets indoor enclosures.

I bring my Russian in at night so long as it gets under 60 degrees, but I’ll let someone who knows more about Hermans give advice in case they are different. Look for the care sheets in the link Alex provided.

Definitely ask questions we are here to help.

Attachments

• IMG_7010.jpeg
    IMG_7010.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Also, if your yard is not fenced or otherwise enclosed, I would not leave them out during the day. Get some kind of barrier up or they will be gone before you know it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises should never be housed in pairs so you need to separate them ASAP
The female not walking could be mbd or because they were kept in an enclosure way too small.
Each one will need a minimum of a 4x8 enclosure inside for when weather is too cold for them to be outside and hopefully larger enclosure outside if possible.

Reactions: Ink

yosnaps

Los Angeles, CA
Welcome from another Angelino! What region of LA are you in? Just because the Valley has a different microclimate than Santa Monica as an example, there are a number of us from the area who can help advise you on outdoor enclosures, but knowing which region you are in will help. I’ve attached a photo of my backyard enclosure in case it is helpful (I’m in the SFV). This is 10x12 and is for just one tortoise.

The link Alex gave you is the best place to start. The biggest thing you need is to keep them separate always. Tortoises cannot be in pairs one will always bully the other whether they are male female or two males. You are going to need two enclosures day and night, and two sets indoor enclosures.

I bring my Russian in at night so long as it gets under 60 degrees, but I’ll let someone who knows more about Hermans give advice in case they are different. Look for the care sheets in the link Alex provided.

Thank you for the tips!

yosnaps

Los Angeles, CA

I am in the South Bay, near Manhattan Beach so it does the cool in the evenings. I have been bringing them in at night and we take them out during the day!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am in the South Bay, near Manhattan Beach so it does the cool in the evenings. I have been bringing them in at night and we take them out during the day!
I spent more time at 26 street in high school than I did in high school! My buddy's grandma lived at 19th st in Hermosa right on the sand. I used to work at a big fancy pet shop on PCH back in the early 90s.

Anyway, the info that Alex linked for you will get you started. With a temperature controlled shelter like the one shown in the thread, they can live outside full time in your area. Questions are welcome.