requesting info on chronic respiratory infections

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi all,
Last summer I took in a rescue 4 year old Sulcata. She was kept in glass, not heat, no uva/uvb, fed a diet of cucumbers, no access to water or misting, no lighting except for bulb in room (curtains were always closed). Needless to say she's underweight, the worst pyrmading I've ever seen and just plain unhealthy. She came with a nasty respiratory infection as well.

She responded to a round of antibiotics and a couple months later it returned. She's been through three rounds now and the respiratory infection keeps returning. I've read/heard over the years that malnorished torts can have chronic resp. infections. Is this true? How is it treated?

Does anyone have any experience or can point me to a reliable publication on the matter? I'll be taking her back to the vet soon and would like to be informed as I can.

Thanks in advance.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Terese,

First, be patient....years of abuse and dietary neglect are not going to be cured overnight even with the best nutrition and a course of antibiotics. Correct the diet, correct the environment and deal with medical episodes as they arise. Diagnostics are a must to determine if the respiratory infections are bacterial, viral or a combination. Correcting diet and environment will go a long way in solving your problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And sometimes a runny nose is just from stress. I just let my tortoises alone and let them be tortoises. The only time I intervene is if the runny nose gets thick and changes color, and if they stop eating. Nine times out of 10, the tortoise just continues eating and acting normal and the runny nose eventually goes away by itself.

Has your vet tested the mucous to see what you're dealing with?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you increased your temps to not fall below 83-85? Keeping an ailing tortoise a bit warmer than when healthy will aid in the healing process.

Also, you may try offering him a diet with lots of A, C, E and K foods---like bok choy, carrots, kale, pumpkin, winter squash, sweet potatos, spinach and chard...also dandelion greens/flowers, hibiscus leaves/flowers, roses/rose leaves---keep in mind variety is key and the items I mention here should be part of a varied diet and not the sole items---however, while trying to up the intake of helpful vitamins adding them would be beneficial....IMHO

I know that right now there are not alot of weeds growing with the cooler weather in most places....so you can also supplement with organic spring mix and organic herb mix....you are likely already doing all of these things but these are a few things that come to mind with what you are describing....

Also, lots and lots and lots, did I say--LOTS of sun time any chance you get...nothing replaces the positive affects of the sun and all it can offer your tortoise....

I wish you loads of luck and your tortoise a healthy outlook :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think we need pitcures too...
If she is eating and kept warm.. Id let it be... but it might be a good idea to have the Vet test to see if its bacterial..
welcome!

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Thank you for everyone for the thoughts and advice. I'm providing everything you all suggested except sun! Its winter here and its not warm enough to get her outside. She has a UVA/UVB though (better than nothing!). I too am a big fan of the power of the sun! She spent all fall outside!

Her discharge is thick and discolored, so it's not just a runny nose. I see the vet again next week and I'll have him test it.

I'll update after the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.