Relationship with my Tortoise

23hallkorr

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
When will my Sulcata “care” about me or trust me. For example little things like eating a treat out of my hand.. or just not being scared whenever I’m near… He is 3 months old and I have had him for almost a month so i’m not expecting much quite yet, but just wondering when he will like me if ever, thanks!

Also.. will he ever like soaking, he is climbing out the entire time, is it lack of trust and he is stressed out and feels trapped or something or does he just not like water.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Some are just less friendly than others. Perhaps while he is eating, you could place your hand near him but not close.
It could also be due to some other factor (stress), but I don't know

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When will my Sulcata “care” about me or trust me. For example little things like eating a treat out of my hand.. or just not being scared whenever I’m near… He is 3 months old and I have had him for almost a month so i’m not expecting much quite yet, but just wondering when he will like me if ever, thanks!

Also.. will he ever like soaking, he is climbing out the entire time, is it lack of trust and he is stressed out and feels trapped or something or does he just not like water.
All of them act like this for about the first 2 or 3 years. Something happens around year three where they just stop being so fearful.

You can shorten this time frame by hand feeding, petting, carrying the tortoise around and generally spending time with and around the tortoise. This will desensitize the tortoise quicker. If you do nothing, the tortoise will likely start following you around its enclosure to see what you are doing and if you have any food for it at around 3 years old.

Don't worry about the climbing in the soaking container. We call that the tortoise treadmill. Its good exercise and keeps the GI tract moving as it should. Its all good. I soak every single hatchling I produce of every species every single day until they pass at least 100 grams, and even then I keep doing it daily for most of them for the first year. Larger tortoises can obviously survive without soaking every day, but it is good for ANY tortoise. I still soak my 100 male sulcata once or twice a week in summer. All my adult stars and leopards get soaked regularly too.