redfoot jaw stuck

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all, we have sun at last.:)

Had all my redfoots out in the garden today soaking up the sun. 1 of them did something freakish. It looked like something was annoying her so started to bob her head in and out of her shell quite fast. Her head got stuck inside the shell because her bottom jaw was lodged on the inside of her plastron. She could not close her jaw, I had to get my finger in under the neck and prize her jaw back up. All was well and she wandered off as though nothing had happened. Don't know what would have happened if we didn't see her.
As anyone else ever seen this happen.

Thank you

Craig

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We've had several instances of this same thing happening. I don't know why it happens, but if you want to read more about it, do a search for "jaw stuck"

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
We've had several instances of this same thing happening. I don't know why it happens, but if you want to read more about it, do a search for "jaw stuck"
Thanks Yvonne. Will research this.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Interesting, I believe I've come across this on another thread a while back. They must not realize how wide they open their mouths. Was that tortoise grazing? Something in or by the side of her mouth might have been bothering her like little rocks, sand, sticks, food, grass. Maybe nipping/scratching at its front legs and the mouth just opened wider than usual and got lodged. Good thing you saw it. Happy Birthday by the way. Hope it was a good one :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Interesting, I believe I've come across this on another thread a while back. They must not realize how wide they open their mouths. Was that tortoise grazing? Something in or by the side of her mouth might have been bothering her like little rocks, sand, sticks, food, grass. Maybe nipping/scratching at its front legs and the mouth just opened wider than usual and got lodged. Good thing you saw it. Happy Birthday by the way. Hope it was a good one :)
Yeh she was outside on grass and weeds, I think she got a small bit of soil stuck in the corner of her mouth, this annoyed her and started swaying her head about with mouth wide open. Then she kept retracting her head and opening her mouth wide, next thing head stuck in with mouth wide open a bottom jaw beak was stuck in the inside of her plastron, eyes rolling back. It must be a natural thing but what would have happened to a tort in the wild, would it have suffocated?

Thanks btw

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Yeh she was outside on grass and weeds, I think she got a small bit of soil stuck in the corner of her mouth, this annoyed her and started swaying her head about with mouth wide open. Then she kept retracting her head and opening her mouth wide, next thing head stuck in with mouth wide open a bottom jaw beak was stuck in the inside of her plastron, eyes rolling back. It must be a natural thing but what would have happened to a tort in the wild, would it have suffocated?

Thanks btw
Yeah who knows...scary. It was a good thing you saw her :)