RedFoot Enclosure Update

theguy67

10 Year Member!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496589558.293888.jpg

Mmmmm...grapes!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496589591.131849.jpg

Planted a row of raspberries, about 2 months ago. They're a little slow going (maybe because I planted too late?) but they're finally starting to take off.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496589681.799193.jpg

Biggest one...They are trying to flower, but I may cut the buds off so their growth isn't stunted.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496699104.518487.jpg

I discovered these today. I'm torn between allowing fruit to grow and cutting off the flowers for the roots to grow.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496699213.029164.jpg

Lots of figs this year.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496699257.139009.jpg

Pomegranates.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Walls done!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496701279.982058.jpg

The stone work is done! Still need to secure some areas before I'm comfortable putting any tortoises in there.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496701389.253915.jpg

It's very thick in there. Holds moisture well. Caladiums are often avoided, and the consensus seems muddy, but I've seen many red foot keepers use them, as they are native to South America. Plus my intention isn't for it to be a major part of their diet. They grow quick, and provide a great micro climate for little ones.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496701581.415078.jpg

Love this shot. Thought about adding a water feature behind it.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Walls done!
View attachment 209576

The stone work is done! Still need to secure some areas before I'm comfortable putting any tortoises in there.

View attachment 209577

It's very thick in there. Holds moisture well. Caladiums are often avoided, and the consensus seems muddy, but I've seen many red foot keepers use them, as they are native to South America. Plus my intention isn't for it to be a major part of their diet. They grow quick, and provide a great micro climate for little ones.

View attachment 209578

Love this shot. Thought about adding a water feature behind it.
I love it! Great job on the stonework! We have some awesome raspberry bushes too; no flowers yet though. Looks like a wonderful tortoise paradise!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Rainy day.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498338449.632330.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498338510.510104.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498338532.669220.jpg

My poor roses. They've been through so much. The tortoises have devoured them twice already. Now I have it staked off and they are recovering nicely. I seem to always underestimate these animals.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498338625.379324.jpg

Baby in the outdoor pen. It's getting too over grown. I'll need to pull some out soon.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498338715.534739.jpg

My work in general has been slow, but I've nearly finished shaping the 3rd and final fountain pillar. Next step will be inserting the pipe, closing up the top and staining both of the new ones.

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
[/Quote]
[/QUOTE]

I was really wondering about the Caladiums my mom gave me a few from her yard and I just didn't know if I should add them to my enclosure. I have seen my torts nibble on them but as you say they aren't intended to be a major part of their diet.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I was really wondering about the Caladiums my mom gave me a few from her yard and I just didn't know if I should add them to my enclosure. I have seen my torts nibble on them but as you say they aren't intended to be a major part of their diet.

They contain oxalates, which can cause issues in mammals if too much is consumed. However, some feed it to forest and mountain tortoises. Other's include it just in the enclosure, without giving the tortoise direct access. I believe this is true with Elephant Ears too.

The only issue with redfoots and larger tortoises is they will devour the whole plant. It will try to grow back, but they will just eat it again, ultimately killing the plant. I pick out the dead leaves before putting the yearlings in there.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I always put in plants that my tortoise can eat directly; it's just easier for me. I suppose it's however you want to set up your garden. :) I can't watch him every second, so I have to assume that any plant in his enclosure will be nibbled on at one point or another, which is fine because then he gets more variety in his diet. But before planting, I do research on each plant to make sure it's OK.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I always put in plants that my tortoise can eat directly; it's just easier for me. I suppose it's however you want to set up your garden. :) I can't watch him every second, so I have to assume that any plant in his enclosure will be nibbled on at one point or another, which is fine because then he gets more variety in his diet. But before planting, I do research on each plant to make sure it's OK.
Ditto here!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Rainy day.

View attachment 211106

View attachment 211107

View attachment 211108

My poor roses. They've been through so much. The tortoises have devoured them twice already. Now I have it staked off and they are recovering nicely. I seem to always underestimate these animals.

View attachment 211109

Baby in the outdoor pen. It's getting too over grown. I'll need to pull some out soon.

View attachment 211110

My work in general has been slow, but I've nearly finished shaping the 3rd and final fountain pillar. Next step will be inserting the pipe, closing up the top and staining both of the new ones.
Looks great! I can't wait to see the finished product!

theguy67

10 Year Member!

Agreed. I've had my weak moments and bought a plant impulsively, only to rip it out after learning it was toxic. It was labeled incorrectly, and I'm not exactly a plant person.

I've talked to others, and read past experiences with caladiums, and have deemed them safe for redfoots, as long as they aren't a major part of their diet. I guess at this point they serve no purpose beyond providing shade and looking nice, so there are better plant options out there.

Its best to avoid wasteful spending, and headaches (possibly heartache) by planning your enclosure carefully. Also, beware of what nurseries, like Walmart, sell. Most of what they sell as "perennials" will not survive. At least that's how it works here. Much of what I've planted I've had to order online.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Agreed. I've had my weak moments and bought a plant impulsively, only to rip it out after learning it was toxic. It was labeled incorrectly, and I'm not exactly a plant person.

I've talked to others, and read past experiences with caladiums, and have deemed them safe for redfoots, as long as they aren't a major part of their diet. I guess at this point they serve no purpose beyond providing shade and looking nice, so there are better plant options out there.

Its best to avoid wasteful spending, and headaches (possibly heartache) by planning your enclosure carefully. Also, beware of what nurseries, like Walmart, sell. Most of what they sell as "perennials" will not survive. At least that's how it works here. Much of what I've planted I've had to order online.
Indeed. I've done so much research the past few years! He is one spoiled Russian tort. I even ended up cross-referencing tort-safe plants with Michigan natives for better chances of garden success. It's worked wonders!

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
What a beautiful home for your Redfoots! It is truly a lovely landscaped area that they will enjoy! I would love to make the water feature for my torts and turts one day. LOL! my torts and turts pens are getting bigger each year much to the chagrin of my non shelled family members. Thank you for detailing how you made your water feature.

richosullivan

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Bamboo forest!

View attachment 209457

I've always liked bamboo. I don't really know why. The redfoots seem to like it just as much, if not more than me. It really exploded this year, offering a nice screen for them to hide in. There's a lot of shade in the enclosure already, but beyond the burrows, there's no cover that reaches that close to the ground.

View attachment 209458

View attachment 209459

If you want bamboo in your garden, I would strongly suggest a clumping variety.

Do you happen to know what type of bamboo you planted?

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Do you happen to know what type of bamboo you planted?

It is called black bamboo - Phyllostachys nigra I believe. There's different types of bamboo that are called "black", but I think Nigra is the most common. Apparently its one of the more tasty bamboos for humans. Some say it tastes like baby corn. I've never tried it, as mine is still maturing.

Bamboo in general is safe for tortoises, but most will not eat it in large amounts. My redfoots nibble on it. Despite it not being a large food source, I think its one of the more beneficial plants I've added, as it has created a large forest screen for them to hide it. With an added sprinkler, it creates a great micro climate, especially for tropical species. In the hot, dry Texas summers, the floor will remain wet, even at the end of the day, if watered in the morning. due to the bamboo in addition to the burrows, they now have multiple options across the enclosure to hide in. It also adds peace of mind, knowing with the added hiding places, they aren't out in the open in the event a predator comes by.

I planted 5 last summer, which was sorta a mistake. Depending on where you live, and what you are planting, most perennials (bamboo, trees, blueberries, bushes...) benefit from being planted in the fall, winter, or early spring. Planting in the summer resulted in shock due to the heat. They all still grew, and put up dozens of new canes this year. Each year they will continue to put out taller, bigger canes. Mine are short now, and the current canes will not get any taller. Each spring, bamboo put out new canes, which reach their max height in about 2 months. This is why bamboo has gotten a reputation of growing so fast. Species that are nearly 100ft tall have to grow over 1 foot a day in a couple years they will finish off my canopy by growing taller than the roof line, and hanging over the enclosure.

I will caution against getting a running bamboo. You will want clumping, especially if you are in a residential neighborhood. Running will be hard to control and invasive. As with most grasses, bamboo grows by an underground stem(rhizome), and send up shoots that become the part we see. Some grasses have short, fat rhizomes, while others have longer rhizomes that spread quickly. Black bamboo is a running variety; however, I have a large pen, in the country. Any new canes can be mowed or chopped down by a weed eater. I'm not too concerned about mine spreading, but for some who do grow to regret it, will find its very hard to get rid of. Bamboo, being a grass, is tolerant of many types of herbicides. Some have no choice but dig it out, while others will chop it down, and cover with a tarp to starve the plant. I honestly think constant shredding with a cutter would eventually kill the plant too.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I will caution against getting a running bamboo. You will want clumping, especially if you are in a residential neighborhood. Running will be hard to control and invasive. As with most grasses, bamboo grows by an underground stem(rhizome), and send up shoots that become the part we see. Some grasses have short, fat rhizomes, while others have longer rhizomes that spread quickly. Black bamboo is a running variety; however, I have a large pen, in the country. Any new canes can be mowed or chopped down by a weed eater. I'm not too concerned about mine spreading, but for some who do grow to regret it, will find its very hard to get rid of. Bamboo, being a grass, is tolerant of many types of herbicides. Some have no choice but dig it out, while others will chop it down, and cover with a tarp to starve the plant. I honestly think constant shredding with a cutter would eventually kill the plant too.
Yes, it's definitely important to do your research on bamboo before planting any!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Yes, it's definitely important to do your research on bamboo before planting any!

Yup. The reason I chose a running bamboo was I wanted it to take over the pen. Clumping would take many more years. Plus, I've always loved the look of bamboo. The idea of a bamboo forest is very appealing to me, so I don't mind if it somewhat takes over.