Redfoot Assistance Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alb317

5 Year Member
ok, so today I got home from work and looked at my little hatchling and noticed a couple things. maybe someone can help me.

He caught a fugus again. I started Anti-fungal as before. within the hr alot was gone from his yolk sac healed scar. I guess I am still having a few issues with humidity. will continue working on this but advice for maintaining humidity in indooor small area would help. i have a repti-fogger.

also i noticed his growth rings around each scute seem to have a ridge to them. i seen this since getting him a month ago. is this something to concern myself about

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Adam:

It looks like you'll need to keep your substrate a little more on the dry side for a while. Instead of wetting the whole habitat, why don't you just get some sphagnum moss, wet that, and push it into the tortoise's hide, leaving the substrate dry for a while.

I'm not real clear on the causes of the raised growth rings, but more than likely it has something to do with the moisture in the habitat. But, over time, it flattens out. I had it happen to one of my Manouria babies during his first year, but when he was in his second year it was not noticable.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Humidity is good but a soaking substrate is not. I believe that is where your problem lies. What kind of substrate are you using?
The ridges or “ new growth rings” are just that …sometimes even white with show between the new growth or bottom rings. Keep him misted a few times a day with proper diet these rings should remain constant with nice even growth .

JD~

LOL Y'vonne...ya beat me too it ! ... I got bumped ~;)

Alb317

5 Year Member
I have him on sphagnum moss only. Cypress chips on bottom. I dont spray the habitat or wet it down. The reptifogger does that for me. I soak him daily. I do find the fogger get the substrate pretty wet if ran a while. I will turn it down and go from there.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
It would be nice to see some pictures of your enclosure and the tortoise in question too!

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.