Red wiggler worms

NikkiW18

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello,
Are red wiggler worms toxic to Box turtles? When I cut mine in half they create a yellow ooze and I heard that was toxic but I’m not too sure. If anyone can help me out. Thank you!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Idk. but i have heard that most reptiles don't like the taste. something about them putting out a nasty taste. I would stick with earthworms. i believe most Walmarts have them in the fishing area of sporting goods. just ALWAYS open and check to make sure the worms are alive.

AJK Aquaria

I asked a similar question here awhile back. Maybe try searching for it. I remember one of the mods saying they are taken readily when raised in a different bedding/soil than what you generally buy them in.

NikkiW18

Arizona
Thank you all! My yearling loves them as well but I had read they’re toxic. So just checking!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thank you all! My yearling loves them as well but I had read they’re toxic. So just checking!

The toxicity issue is a yearly debate. The Eisenia Fetida also known as the red wiggler has been known to be toxic to certain snakes, however the results from the test didn’t factor in the diet for these composters. Like Yvonne stated. Fact is the bait store red wigglers are often raised in manure. My turtles would not touch them straight out of the can but after a month in my own compost bed they eat them just fine. I prefer to use the cousin Eisenia Hortensis European Nightcrawler...they are bigger and are quite squirmy.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I have the European nightcrawlers, too. mine love them. i just wish mine would breed faster. If they don't do any better by spring, i will stop with them and just keep earthworms in the fridge. Easier.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
This came up before. I read somewhere that the wrigglers are coated with a slightly toxic bad-tasting slime which diminishes their appeal.
I grew some in good stuff before feeding them to my boxies. They would eat a few, not very enthusiastically, then stop. Then if i tossed in a night crawler or earthworm, they would snarf it up.