Red spots on my 8 month old sulcata

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
OK I agree that the new red patches, especially those on the plastron, don't look good at all. I too fear you may lose this little one. :)

With just the pair on the upper shell it looked like a ramming injury, but the patches on the plastron indicate that sepsis is likely. I'm so sorry.
Still don't give up - even 1 on 10 is better ten 1 on 0. Pleas keep us updated.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well after giving it the powder food and medicine "she" seems to perk up but barely opens her eyes. I've noticed improvement in past day but now one of the spots are bleeding. I'm sorry for the delayed response. I'm been working and using every other second for my tort.

I was very appalled by this second vet too. She would not do any tests and didn't even want to treat her. She just kept saying she was going to die but I refuse to not try. I'm not a vet but it has to be sepsis. There are now multiple spots underneath and a third on that spot where the two are in the picture to make a triangle. The third is now bleeding. I'm going crazy and I have no idea what to do. I feel like the for emcees feeding is too stressful but she won't eat enough on her own.

Can anyone give me more information on septicemia? Is there a chance?

I actually just heard her moving and I looked and she is walking around with her eyes open but not a single piece of her shell is hard. I will post more pictures for you guys.

Maybe I'm wrong but the fact that more spots are showing up doesn't help me think she is getting any better.

"not a single piece of her shell is hard." This is the first here about the soft shell....that is a problem...what is the uvb source? Have you given this tort an individual hospital type enclosure? I would not give up until there is a reason....where there is life there is hope....sometimes these guys have to ride on our coat tails until they can do on their own....

Are you soaking the tort? Are you offering baby food soaks as well?

Kkeelboat

I have a tube uvb bulb. I have separated her and have heat on her constantly with a day bulb and a night bulb but also somewhere to hide. I took her outside for a little today to get some real sun and the force feeding was okay. But now I can't get her mouth open. All the stress is definitely taking a toll on her. I am soaking her. I have not given up hope.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well after giving it the powder food and medicine "she" seems to perk up but barely opens her eyes. I've noticed improvement in past day but now one of the spots are bleeding. I'm sorry for the delayed response. I'm been working and using every other second for my tort.

I was very appalled by this second vet too. She would not do any tests and didn't even want to treat her. She just kept saying she was going to die but I refuse to not try. I'm not a vet but it has to be sepsis. There are now multiple spots underneath and a third on that spot where the two are in the picture to make a triangle. The third is now bleeding. I'm going crazy and I have no idea what to do. I feel like the for emcees feeding is too stressful but she won't eat enough on her own.

Can anyone give me more information on septicemia? Is there a chance?

I actually just heard her moving and I looked and she is walking around with her eyes open but not a single piece of her shell is hard. I will post more pictures for you guys.

Maybe I'm wrong but the fact that more spots are showing up doesn't help me think she is getting any better.

What type of antibiotic are you giving the tortoise? Duration and quantity of antibiotic being given? You will want to set the tortoise up in a hospital/individual smaller space that will allow you easy control of the temps/lighting/uvb .....lots of long warm water soaks....also, do a once over to make sure there are no small injuries to the tortoise---bites, cuts and the such so if you find any you can also clean and treat those spots.....also give a good once over to the other tortoise to make sure there are no similar issues.....a bacterial infection can create sepsis as well as stress as well as an injury that flares up....just my thoughts is all...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have a tube uvb bulb. I have separated her and have heat on her constantly with a day bulb and a night bulb but also somewhere to hide. I took her outside for a little today to get some real sun and the force feeding was okay. But now I can't get her mouth open. All the stress is definitely taking a toll on her. I am soaking her. I have not given up hope.

How long have you used the uvb bulb? How old is it?

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Don't give up hope. I am so sorry you're going through this and I am wishing for the best for both of you.

I agree on getting a temp enclosure. Keep her warm so her immune system can help her along. If you're using oral antibiotics she could have diarrhea so soaking her and keeping her hydrated is a must.

Thank you for not giving up and making an effort to save her life.

Kkeelboat

What type of antibiotic are you giving the tortoise? Duration and quantity of antibiotic being given? You will want to set the tortoise up in a hospital/individual smaller space that will allow you easy control of the temps/lighting/uvb .....lots of long warm water soaks....also, do a once over to make sure there are no small injuries to the tortoise---bites, cuts and the such so if you find any you can also clean and treat those spots.....also give a good once over to the other tortoise to make sure there are no similar issues.....a bacterial infection can create sepsis as well as stress as well as an injury that flares up....just my thoughts is all...
The medicine is Orbax. Twice a day. And as I said I have her separated with her own heat and uvb. The only injury is the small spot on too that now bleeds. I have cleaned it up and applied neosporin. Her eyes are open and she can move around somewhat and then gets tired. I'm hoping this means she is heading in a positive direction

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The medicine is Orbax. Twice a day. And as I said I have her separated with her own heat and uvb. The only injury is the small spot on too that now bleeds. I have cleaned it up and applied neosporin. Her eyes are open and she can move around somewhat and then gets tired. I'm hoping this means she is heading in a positive direction

Awesome....if it were me, I would really study what you have going on in this temp set up...temps, lighting and distance from heat and lighting, substrate depth and what you have changed in your husbandry in the secondary space that all have contributed to any sign of improvement....then take that information and go to the other enclosure and see what is not the same....compare the two spaces....perhaps you will see where there are some beneficial tweaks that can be done....I mean, sometimes we do what we think is the correct thing and then something begins to go awry....we all have and do go through this tweaking period...and when we step back and look at what the tortoise is telling us works for them then we can do the tweaks to make the set up perfect for the tortoise in our care...as there are basics, each and every tortoise is individual in their own ways...

surfergirl

it is awesome you took the time off and got little foot to the vet when you did! sounds like she is feeling better already, eating is a very positive sign!

Kkeelboat

Thank you for all the input guys. Definitely kept my hopes up when I was hopeless. Little foot is doing okay as of right now and I will keep you all updated. It's been very hectic and tiring to take care of her and work so I will post when I can.

Kkeelboat

Awesome....if it were me, I would really study what you have going on in this temp set up...temps, lighting and distance from heat and lighting, substrate depth and what you have changed in your husbandry in the secondary space that all have contributed to any sign of improvement....then take that information and go to the other enclosure and see what is not the same....compare the two spaces....perhaps you will see where there are some beneficial tweaks that can be done....I mean, sometimes we do what we think is the correct thing and then something begins to go awry....we all have and do go through this tweaking period...and when we step back and look at what the tortoise is telling us works for them then we can do the tweaks to make the set up perfect for the tortoise in our care...as there are basics, each and every tortoise is individual in their own ways...

I agree and will be doing so. It's hard because as I said she was never off to a good start. I'll be redoing both of their enclosures and keeping her in something covered until I find she is growing substantially larger. And I've been wanting to purchase a powersun, so I will be doing that.

I have a great job now and will be able to buy/build and outdoor area where they can go outside on the hotter days.

I'm open to any other advice/ideas to make sure this doesn't happen again.