Red footed tortoise hatchling temp and humidity

Wade

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
What temp and humidity should I aim for with rf hatchling? I'm new and have ceramic heat and a controller now that I'm wanting to set to correct temp for Ernie. Humidity I have a reptile zoo fogger that is working well with my bedding to hold humidity. Fyi I'm located in Illinois and realized that I chose poorly with rf but I am going to make him comfy and happy. Atm he is in a 55 gallon fish tank with screen top that has been insulation on it. He comes outside with me on hot humid days.

Wade

Illinois
If anyone is knowledgeable and can give accurate advice please let me know 3094299222. I red the care sheet but it's for adults I believe.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've responded to the PM.
But for the record;
80 to 86°f with the target being 82 to 84. You want an ambient temperature. (All over)
Over 75% humidity.
That 55 gallon will make a good. But temporary closed chamber enclosure.
Your RF will outgrow it in a few months.
Get a few inches of Orchid bark in there. I get mine from the HOME DEPOT. Pour a bit of water into the corners and close off the top.
Your humidity will raise as the water evaporates.
Redfoot need more or less the same things no matter their age. But babies do benefit from higher humidity levels. Adults are more robust.
The screen top will be pretty useless. And you might want to look into a mini greenhouse setup for a larger enclosure idea.
Keeping a Redfoot in the dryer, colder states does add to the difficulty. But it'll get much easier once you've gotten your parameters figured out. And how to accomplish them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: