red foot burrowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Is burrowing common for red foots? I have one who has practically buried herself. Could the tortoise be nesting? or sick? or just trying to adjust her humidity and temps (temps and humidity are good according to what I've read here.) Any advice including don't worry so much would be appreciated. Thanks, Jennifer
ps I have a picture of what s/he's doing, if that helps. Thanks.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
If the substrat is soft enough, they will dig a pallet to rest in. This is perfectly normal. In my outside enclosures they have an area that is kept muddy for them to dig in and wallow in. This is in addition to their pool. They don't burrow like many other torts. They will do this even if the temps and humidity are ideal. This is why I refer to them as muddy torts. Actually this behaviour is common to the forest type torts and quite normal.

bacaraj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Biloxi,MS
Mine Love to burrow just under the surface of their enclosure usually they dig little trenches and you can see just the tops of their shells. During the summer they do this under the Hibiscus' during the heat of the day and often burrow like this at night.

tandrreptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My redfoots do this sometimes as well on very hot days here in florida theyll bury them selves inside there house they sleep in. theyll bury themelves in moist dirt to cool off.

Status
Not open for further replies.