red eared slider

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliders

5 Year Member
Can someone tell me if this is shell rot or hard water causing this?
Thnxs! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20130614_191650.jpg
    IMG_20130614_191650.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The picture isn't clear enough to say for sure, however, I don't think it looks like a hard water stain...its too random.

sliders

5 Year Member
I'll try to add a better photo as soon as possible ! Hoping to find out so I can tell her she needs to fix it

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you provide a basking spot that allows your turtle to completely climb out of the water and bask and let their shell dry out completely? They need to have access to a dry dock to do this....

sliders

5 Year Member
Its not my turtle... My son has a tortoise so I know what it requires. I've looked in on my roommates red eared and and seen this... So I wanted info on what it was. Altho I suspect shell rot.
Any info would help me to try to help her. As I mentioned I have a land one. No idea what to do with water one.
Pics are here

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/sportychick29/IMG_20130618_165859_zps03db64cd.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/sportychick29/IMG_20130618_165846_zps6c9dba7d.jpg

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
In his light fixture, is he providing a source of UVB. I see a basking platform, so this is good. But what is in that fixture above it?
He needs a basking source of at least 92, and a direct source of UVB.

sliders

5 Year Member
Thats the basking light she has for it. Altho I believe there's no uvb. And I also noticed no strict day/night schedule. It's on when she puts it on sometime all day/night some times not at all... The tank size is 20g nothing but water one basking rock and a tree/bush. Along with 2 sucker fish things lol... To me its all wrong and shell rot has kicked in. Any other ppl think this ??

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
Thanks for bumping. I was trying to find you. Well, the setup doesn't necessarily matter, however having no UVB does. Their needs to be a day and night schedule! But i always leave basking light one because my hatchings don't like to sleep in the water. This is my personal preference though. You NEED a UVB source immediately! It's a MUST. How hot does your basking bulb get? A solution i can state, is that the basking area isn't hot enough and the slider refuses to get out because it's too cold. Thus causing shell rot

sliders

5 Year Member
Hi and you're welcome for the bump.

The water itself it cold! As for the setup I heard 1 inch of turtle = 10g of water...turtle is about inch so 20g to much. As I said there's nothing there really beside water one basking rock and the one tree thing u see in the pic.

He gets out of the water without the basking light on to sit on the rock.

I've sent my roomate a bunch of sites about day/night uvb and the tank set ups. Including this site.

If anyone has any ideas for tank set up or how to maybe get his shell not as soft advice for me to pass on will be much appreciated. Thanks

Vickie

5 Year Member
Have her pick up a small water heater #1. Its best the water stays at around 75F. Secondly I couldn't tell by the picture make sure that the water level is equal to one of the ledges. They typically are good climbers however, I had the larger set up similar to this and my yellow bellied slider would slip off the platform trying to climb to the top. That ledge filter can get quite slippery when wet. Personally I would raise the water level to closer to the top so the its still filtering water however, can get to the very top easily. Which is the warmest spot and one they feel most secure at to stretch all the way out to sun. Unless its in direct air conditioning it most likely will not need a nighttime heat lamp. These are turtles which are naturally way up in the northern US waters so they are used to cool night temps. Also, agree with above it NEEDS a good sun light bulb ASAP and would keep it on a good 12hrs a day! They are also prone to soft shell if the correct light isn't provided. Also, make sure she is giving it a turtle calcium in the water that devolves. I preferred the ones that had food also within the small round bar that comes in a 5 pk. First of all they are big eaters so will eat at it to help get in the calcium and also devolves in the water so it gets the calcium that way as well. You might want to also pick it up and take a good look at the shell it might be shell rot however, after yrs of having water turtles I have never seen it in one. (thought maybe it was the care they got or I was lucky?) Make sure the white spots aren't from injury from the falls off the cliff.....again its slippery when wet and not uncommon for them to fall off of it. If they are they will heal but will take time and personally I would make sure its getting plenty of calcium to help with that process. Also, if you have city water make sure she is putting turtle water softener in the water as well. The chlorine over time is going to cause issues as well.

I am SOOOO sorry I didn't see this earlier. I am new at this whole tortoise thing and trying to gather and learn all I can prior to the new one coming home but have had these since I was a young girl just wished I saw this a long time ago to help sooner. If you have ANY questions don't hesitate to private message or e-mail me at any time.

sliders

5 Year Member
here are some better pics! we tried to scratch off the white to see if it was just growing but the white spots are not loose so its not shedding...

IMG_20130622_120513.jpgIMG_20130622_114953.jpgIMG_20130622_114937.jpgIMG_20130622_114651.jpg

oh and btw for some reason shes got 3 of those sucker fish in there with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

sliders

5 Year Member
What do I need to do to treat shell rot if that's what it is?

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
One thing I noticed: you quoted the ten gallons per inch, then said 20 gallons is too much. Not sure if you meant that's too much water.
If so, there is no such thing as too much water. 20 gallons is good for a little guy.

sliders

5 Year Member
No what I meant was I've read all over that you supposed to have 10g for every inch your turtle is.... He's about an inch but is in 20g tank filled... With mainly nothing in tank.. I've posted pics u can see.so I'm assuming its way to much space and water for his size ATM and the fact it's empty

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
I think I understand now. However, there is still no such thing as too much space/too much water for an aquatic turtle.
Not sure what ATM means...

Also, the 10 gallon rule is an absolute minimum. More is merrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.