Really quick question!

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Baby red foot - I had read somewhere no protein (like worms, etc) until 6 months old - is that correct?

And s/he's been going after the cuttlebone more (I read that means they aren't getting enough calcium?) - should I be adding the calcium supplement every day to the food?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Don't add calcium every day. Closer to every 3 days will suffice.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I feed my reds worms did when she was a baby . I feed chicken, fish ,and other meats like squirrel, deer , rabbit . But I'm a hunter so have the meat in the freezer .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Ashley, you won't find squirrel or deer at the local grocery store, so I don't see a problem with worms or chicken. I only fostered an adult once.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Lol! Yes, I'm not a hunter so what's available at the grocery store is better. I heard those little shrimp are liked by reds?

Mike, how often did you feed babies the protein?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicken, fish, crawfish, shrimp, turkey, crab, lobster just some you can buy . I would not feed meat every day . Weeds greens then a little fish . You can feed crickets, worms, snals, pill bugs . The list is end less . Think about where they come from . They be bob around grass lands and forests . They eat any dead animals on the ground . If they find any bugs they munch them down . You c an also feed crocodile biscuits . Mazuri . Com sells them in 50 lbs bags . Then you don't have worry about buying meat . Hope that helped you out . Don't forget plants have protein in them to . Like mushrooms but dont feed to often .