Ralph and the pumpkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Here's Ralph enjoying his first ever bit of pumpkin (courtesy of my pumpkin carving kids). I've tried in the past to give it to him, but he just turned up his nose. I guess he's acquired a taste.

102909010Ralphlikespumpkin.jpg

102909011Ralphlikespumpkin.jpg

102909014Ralphnomnom.jpg

102909015Ralph.jpg

102909018Ralph.jpg

102909012Ralph.jpg

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Those pics are fantastic....Ralph is one handsome sully:)

Terri O

5 Year Member
Debbie, I just love the expressions on Ralph's face! Good job getting such a nice clear close-up! Terri O

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
OK..that's it. They next picture I take, I'm going to be laying on the floor. Those pictures were fantastic!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I think it's neat how Sulcata's eyes seem to have an iris, separate from the "whites" if you will...and smaller tortoises, or at least Chaco's, whose entire eye looks black unless you get in closely where you can see a faint difference in the shade of the iris and the shade of the rest of her eye. From any distance, for all intents and purposes, her beautiful eye is solidly jet black.

Maggie's Bob has what looked like blue eyes to me, at least around the edges.;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I see a lot of pictures of Ralph there that should have been put in the calendar contest. :D I just wanted to ask (if anyone knows) why do Sulcatas have (I think they're called spurs?) on their legs? What is the purpose of them? Ralph is so good looking.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It helps to protect them from predators.

Yvonne

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Lovely close-up shots of Ralph.
Is Ralph eating raw pumpkins? Would you mind sharing how you prepared the pumpkins here? Did you spoon the inside for him?
My DT would not eat any type of squash or pumpkins raw even if I dice them to small pieces.
Only when pumpkin (kabocha) is microwaved and softer will she eat it.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I just gave him the inside guts of the pumplin, making sure to take out any seeds. I gave him a bit of the scraped off meat too. The first few times, he just walked right over it, didn't care it was there. Didn't even smell it. Then he realized he could eat it and loved it.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Debbie...Ralph is SO handsome. You got some really great shots. Should have submitted one for the calendar.
Patsy

M

Maggie Cummings

Ralph and Bob are twins. Flat out look exactly alike with that bump on their nose. I'm thinkin the only way to tell them apart would be size. Bob is bigger, but they look exactly alike...don't you think Debbie?

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
I've been thinking the same thing, Maggie.

If it weren't a good idea to put two new torts together, I'd bring him up there when we visit WA. We'd stop in OR on the way and get a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.