Raising DT & Sulcata hatchlings in captivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
In general, do you think is it easier to raise DT hatchlings over Sulcata hatchlings in captivity, when trying to prevent pyramiding?

I have seen a few DT hatchlings on here with nice shells, and my DT hatchlings have nice shells as well. I have also seen Sulcata hatchlings on here, who are almost always atleast a little pyramided. My Sulcata hatchling/juvenile is very slightly pyramided too.

Here are some pictures from today. They got a treat in their meal, strawberries!!--

DT hatchlings:

TortoiseStrawberries009.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries016.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries024.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries029.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries032.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries034.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries039.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries041.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries042.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries044.jpg

Sulcata--

TortoiseStrawberries011.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries012.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries013.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries014.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries018.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries019.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries020.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries022.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries031.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries045.jpg

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I got this Desert Tortoise at 2 weeks old.
According to prevailing wisdom, as far as the "humidity" thing goes, I did everything totally, completely, %100 wrong , and he shows only slight pyramiding, and is beautiful and completely healthy.

Seen here at 10 years old.
tortoise.jpg

I would assume they pyramid far less than Sulcatas.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I adopted an adult DT from my local CTTC Chapter about 2 years ago, and he was/is pyramided, but of course I have no idea where he was/how he was kept before I adopted him. The CTTC person said he was probably on store-bought tortoise food, but that's obviously not the only possible contribution.

P9160121.jpg

P9160118.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my experience DT are easier to raise smooth.

Shelly said:
I got this Desert Tortoise at 2 weeks old.
According to prevailing wisdom, as far as the "humidity" thing goes, I did everything totally, completely, %100 wrong , and he shows only slight pyramiding, and is beautiful and completely healthy.

Seen here at 10 years old.

I would assume they pyramid far less than Sulcatas.

Shelly, you've got a very nice looking tort there, but you didn't do everything 100% wrong. In fact your situation helps to prove the humidity/pyramiding thing. From what I've gathered in your past posts, you just stick your Dts out in your back yard and they do their own thing, for the most part, right?

Well they are in a beautifully landscaped, relatively heavily watered back yard, right? Also, you live in a relatively humid part of SoCal don't you? I mean as opposed to the high desert, where I am. Put your humidity probe out there on your freshly watered, green lawn one day and I'll put mine out on my dry ranch dirt and lets compare notes on the same day at the same time. I bet your humidity is quite a lot higher than mine.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Actually, for the first few years I kept him in an aquarium at night with an underground heater thingie, and during the day put him in a planter outside. Both situations were %100 dry dirt, no "substrate" or humid hides or anything like that. No "soaks" or misting, drinking water very seldom given. Just bare, dry, hot dirt (with available shade, of course). His food was about 1/2 commercial food and 1/2 stuff from the yard.
Only since he was about 4 years old has he been outside 24/7/365.

Status
Not open for further replies.