Radiated tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoffy20

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, NY
Hi,

So Iwas surfing the forums today and then popped on to craiglist nyc just to see what people might have tortoise related when I saw an ad that said radiated tortoises for sale. They then listed species which ranged from russians, to greeks, to sulcatas, and even galapagos. What does Radiated mean and is it even possible to sell galapagos to the public? Are they not endangered? Just want to know what everyone thinks or knows about this.

Have a great day, Scott and Rex

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It is possible to sell Galapagos tortoises, but not common. Radiated tortoises are from Madagascar, and arguably one of the most beautiful tortoises in the world. It is possible to sell those too.

The ad you were looking at was more than likely a scam...actually I would bet $1,000 right now that it is a scam. I'm guessing the prices for the radiated tortoises were listed somewhere around $300 - $400?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Scoffy20 said:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pet/3134573110.html

Here is the listing, I was just curious what radiated tortoises were. i thought they might be made genetically smaller. I couldn't imagine having a Galapagos (there so big). It would be fun though.

There is pictures of radiated tortoises in the radiated section of this forum if you were wondering what they looked like. This add doesnt give very much info, The cheapest radiated hatchling would cost 700. to 800. dollars and go up into several thousand. Always be careful and I wouldnt be that trustworthy if I were you. They are always looking for someone that is looking to get a great deal and knowledge is limited

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
That's one of the same adds I've seen in the 5 states around me I browse.

Absolutely a scam.

Radiateds are expensive, but people do have them. They are cheaper than Aldabras.

And yes, you can get a Galapagos, but it'd be very expensive and not the easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.