R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I am so sad :( . Yesterday my worms were doing so well. I have been working on a new container so I could split the herd and change the bedding. I have the aged manure ready and I drilled holes in the new container, but when I opened my worm containers tonight I found thousands and thousands of dead worms. I kept them alive all summer, but today I guess it just got too hot :( So it is with a heavy heart that I type this.
Poor Trudy she will have to rely on me to dig up goodies for her. I will wait until the weather cools before I start over.
R.I.P my little worns.
I think I need a glass of wine........

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Heat will kill them quickly, but don't fret they sometimes lay eggs when it starts to dry up, if you already knew this then I apologize, keep it moist and you might see some new ones born.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry to hear this. I know what it means to have a culture of feeder animals. There is a strange (to some people) affection for them. I feel pretty fond of several of my roach cultures and I'd be pretty upset if anything ever happened to them.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That is a real horror, and I know the feeling. The exact thing happened to me a few years ago. I had the tub under a bench, in the shade, but it got too hot even in the shade. I was sick because I had this worm bin going for two years, and my old boxie was enjoying the benefit of the worms, and so were my tomato plants. I used to lug it inside in the winter and then lug it back outside in the summer. They were red wigglers, and couldn't stay outside in NY weather. So sorry.........

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Yesterday there was a huge massive glob of them attacking a rottem piece of fruit. They looked so healthy. I do have an open pile that a made with cinder block. It gets afternoon shade and was kind of an experiment. I think I have some worms there and I dumped the containers there so hopfully any living worms or eggs will servive.

Status
Not open for further replies.