Questions Greek Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
Hello,
My name is Faith! I am new to having tortoises ! I would love some advice if you have time! I've read everything I could find but many things are contradicting or very vague. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right! I have a tortoises table the basking area and many hiding spots. He's basking area is about 95 degrees in his head out box is around 70 with humidity at 50 in 20. Feeding him collard greens dandelion greens parsley cilantro and Caesar lettuce. I've had him a little over a week and first couple days he was really active n eating but the last few he hasn't really been eating and has himself buried. He about six months old. Any suggestions on what I could do better or books I Can read ?

Thanks!

Tech13

5 Year Member
Hi Faith, I've been in the same boat you are in, and just ordered a book on Amazon about Mediterranean Tortoises recommended on this forum, but it may not get here until the 23rd of this month! I am so thankful for Emysemys' reply so I can be sure I am doing the right thing for my little Greek, Tech. I don't even know what subspecies he is and that can make a difference on care too! ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364875912.916835.jpg thanks for your post

Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome to the forum. There are some really good resources on here, and I think you'll find that people are helpful and friendly.

To help you trouble shoot, here are a few questions:
Your temperatures sound good, do you have a source of UVB in the enclosure? What kind of enclosure is your tortoise living in, and what size? What kind of substrate are you using?

Once the weather is nicer, you will be able to offer a wider variety of plants. There is a really good list of edible plants here: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/files/Booklet 2nd edition_March 2012.pdf and on that same website (http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk) you will find some more resources and lists of edible plants etc.

Feel free to continue asking questions. :)

waitmanff said:
Hello,
My name is Faith! I am new to having tortoises ! I would love some advice if you have time! I've read everything I could find but many things are contradicting or very vague. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right! I have a tortoises table the basking area and many hiding spots. He's basking area is about 95 degrees in his head out box is around 70 with humidity at 50 in 20. Feeding him collard greens dandelion greens parsley cilantro and Caesar lettuce. I've had him a little over a week and first couple days he was really active n eating but the last few he hasn't really been eating and has himself buried. He about six months old. Any suggestions on what I could do better or books I Can read ?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.