Question (climbs the walls)

Emily7tortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Palistine
Hello. I have a baby tortoise in my house since it's winter and she lives in like a fish tank with grass and things, and she is so healthy and moves a lot and eats and one thing she likes to do it sorta climb on the glass like she is swimming on it and since she does that a lot she sometimes accidentally flips her self over on her back and I can't be looking at her all the time but when I do I flip her. So I wanted to ask if that effects her health in any way or hurts her?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hello. I have a baby tortoise in my house since it's winter and she lives in like a fish tank with grass and things, and she is so healthy and moves a lot and eats and one thing she likes to do it sorta climb on the glass like she is swimming on it and since she does that a lot she sometimes accidentally flips her self over on her back and I can't be looking at her all the time but when I do I flip her. So I wanted to ask if that effects her health in any way or hurts her?
Because she can see out...she wants to go out...cover the sides about 5 inches up so she can't see out...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What species of tortoise? Can you provide us with a picture of your tortoise and enclosure?
What are your enclosure temps? Basking, cool side, and night.
There is a good chance that your enclosure is too small and that is contributing to the issue, but we need more info to tell for sure

_The_Beast_

Canada
My hatchling (almost four months old) is in a 4ft x 2ft glass terrarium (getting a larger one once baby is bigger) and does not spend any time scratching at the glass. Could it be the size (needs more space)? Also, do you know the hatch date?

Health wise, if they are on their back and cannot right themselves, they will eventually suffocate because their lungs are being squished by the other organs (checking out an anatomy diagram might help visualize what happens when they flip). Is the tortoise able to right itself on its own using other things in the terrarium (like rocks)?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
This is a habit if they can see out. As mentioned tape the sizes till it can not see out and add more tape as it grows. It is important to check habitat set up as incorrect, heat, light, diet, substrates can trigger determination to escape.
Please advise species and we can provide care sheet to cross check. Lying on their back for a long time can cause death as the internal organs are compressed. Ensure you have some low stones so they can self right or regularly check. Hatchlings are prone to flipping and it lessens with time as they grow and get heavier

ryan57

PA
I have another explanation based on observation and my opinion differs on them seeing out as a plausible explanation. Like _The_Beast_ mentioned, I have used a clear tote and no trying to escape.

I had my small 175g sulcata in a solid tote and it would still try to escape under one circumstance... same with the clear tote s/he has now: the plate is empty or the water dish needs maintenance. It has never been a temperature thing because in its hide it is about 80degrees and outside is warmer with 105 on the rock under the basking light. It's not temperature or material related in my case. It is always either food dish is low or it doesn't want to eat what is in it and is looking to go somewhere to eat or there is poop or unclean water. Also, any food not cut up that day is promptly rejected by both of my tortoises. Day old food is not acceptable to them.

_The_Beast_

Canada
Also, any food not cut up that day is promptly rejected by both of my tortoises.
This is a neat observation. My hatchling (almost four months) only wants to tear up their food from larger leaves and ignores pieces that are cut up. In the beginning I tried both, but now I don't bother. Stomp, chomp, and tear over here!

ryan57

PA
This is a neat observation. My hatchling (almost four months) only wants to tear up their food from larger leaves and ignores pieces that are cut up. In the beginning I tried both, but now I don't bother. Stomp, chomp, and tear over here!

Video should be online in a couple minutes. There is a reason that this guy will be 26 -28lbs on March 2nd when he will be 2 years old. The video above is the reason along with tons of exercise and sunshine. Chopping (if you do it right) makes every head motion full of food.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a little Russian. One of the things he'll do is climb a wall. It has nothing to do with the temperature or any of that. It all depends on where his enclosure furniture is placed or he places it... 🤣If he can become a tortoise sandwich between the wall of his enclosure and something else he can climb a wall 🐢🐢🐢 easily.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Forgive me for being ignorant about the current climate in Palestine.
Are you able to create a place outside for your tortoise to live in at least on nice days?
Any tortoise would require more space than an aquarium. Even a very large aquarium

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Forgive me for being ignorant about the current climate in Palestine.
Are you able to create a place outside for your tortoise to live in at least on nice days?
Any tortoise would require more space than an aquarium. Even a very large aquarium
Yes.