(Q) Tinactin treatment for possible shell rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruze808

5 Year Member
Hi tort lovers
First off thank you all for having a community like this where I could find q and a s for uncharted territory. It seems the community really cares and have a variety of caretakers and that's important for me.
Ok my Oogway is more than 5 years old and a russian tort. She came to me nelected and shy about 1 month ago.She is showing signs of shell rot and the wife brought generic Tinactin Is this ok for her? I applied once yesterday evenig after the second provadine iodine. Ill take pics of her when I get home. Thanks
Sent from my SGH-T999 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, tinactin should be ok to use. Any athlete's foot cream is ok. Clean the area well, but don't use Betadine more than once, as it inhibits the new growth of white cells.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
The provodine works great for fungal on shells. It may take a long while before you see any healing, though. Just be prepared for that in case you don't see immediate results.

cruze808

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick response and yes understood with betadine application. :)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
You need to look for Clotrimazol. That is the only active ingredient in the many foot creams that will kill shell Fungus. Tolnaftate will not. Iodine will not kill shell Fungus either....

cruze808

5 Year Member
Ok the betadine is from what I can gather is a general antiseptic kind of like when we get cuts ill use betadine to clean and neosporin for a antibiotic. Thanks I will buy that antifungal

Status
Not open for further replies.