Shell rot :(

LunaLuBlue2

Hello Ive been treating my hermanns tortoise for what looks like shell rot and it seemed to clear up except this one spot. I did betadine a couple times in the beginning and recently started using Nolvesan in a dish that i would dip a toothbrush in and give the shell a gentle scrub. Then i put antifungal cream on it. . It looks like the spots that cleared up have even come back. Im so frustrated. I use the lotrimin ultra which is Butenafine hydrochloride. I will try whatever else. I got the offbrand of lamisil and tinactin too. Should i switch ? Here's a series of photos. Starting from most recent to when i first started treating it.
I have him currently on newspaper while healing.
I only kept the coco coir more damp because people said he was pyramiding and needed more humidity. I feel like I'm failing my little buddy. :/

CYMERA_20170401_125022.jpg CYMERA_20170401_125245.jpg CYMERA_20170401_125522.jpg CYMERA_20170401_125635.jpg CYMERA_20170401_125734.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I may be way off base, but I really don't think you need to keep that Testudo on moist substrate. I would change out the substrate and put in totally dry substrate, and keep treating with the athlete foot cream. But maybe keep him on paper towel or something clean like that during treatment.

When I saw the first picture, my thought was, "That's an abrasion from scraping along on a rough surface." But then I saw subsequent pictures where he now has it on other scutes too. So I don't know. But it really doesn't look like shell rot to me.

LunaLuBlue2

This isn't shell rot ? I admittedly was keeping the substrate pretty moist because i was told he needed it.
But i don't have anything that would scuff him in his enclosure. Should i stop with the antifungal cream ? And Nolvesan too ? But keep him on newspaper for a bit longer ? Just to monitor?
Thank you both for your comments. I appreciate it greatly.