Pyramiding and humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

I have a beautiful Hermann's Test. tortoise. He is only 1 1/2 years old (too young to sex but he is Stu for now nonetheless). At the moment he is in a viv on alfalfa hay. I was wondering, what is the humidity meant to be at? I am wondering if he is developing pyramiding. I recently learned that vivs are not the best for tortoises so I am currently in the process of making a tort table for him.

His temp is at 30 degrees in the hot end during the day. Vivs are evil I believe. Not enough variation in temp so I can't wait to get his new home sorted out! I'm going to make it out of a large rabbit/ ginea pig cage - I need a cage like top to it as we have a cat...

Anyway, back to the topic, if anyone can shed some light on this we would appreciate it muchly!

Carina and Disco Stu

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...First you need to take the alfalfa hay out. It is way too high in protein for him to be nibbling on. Plus it holds mold when it gets damp from his water or from pottying on it.
Since I don't have Hermanns I will bow to others to answer your humidity questions. Google 'humidity for hermanns' for info. Also check here under the Hermanns section.
Good luck
Patsy

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member

I will change his alfalfa like you say to the soil/ sand mix as others have suggested. Thanks. I don't like the alfalfa for the reasons you mentioned above. I have noticed that it does that and I'm not happy with it so was thinking of changing it. I'm getting him a rabbit cage next week to use as a tort table so I shall try it out in there. Hopefully he'll like his new home! It will be very different for him, bless :p

I can't believe I haven't seen the Hermann's section before! Thanks for showing me the way!

Carina and sleepy Stu

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
this is OT, but I don't know wher to put it.... ...Could you post some pictures of your African Land Snails? I really want to get one but can't find a place to buy them. Do you know of any?

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
Hi OT, I will put some photos up on here of them as soon as I can...
Where are you based? If you were near me you could have as many as you like - they're always breeding!!

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
I have a Hermann's tortoise that I've kept on a 50/50 mixture of organic material (fir and sphagnum peat moss - Zilla's Jungle Mix) and calcium sand. I moisten the mix periodically, and give the tortoise an opportunity to burrow into this. My tortoise is a year old and shows no signs of pyramiding.

Carina and Stu

5 Year Member
Thank you Michael, I think I'll try these out on Stu. Hopefully he'll like it!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
One option for humidity, especially in an open-top table is the 'humid hide' option.

One example would be to take a plastic shoe box with a lid, cut a hole in the side big enough for the tortoises, put some nice 'nestle-into' material in it (anything from paper towels to non-alfalfa hay- you'll only use a small amount and it will be easy to replace before it goes bad).

If the nesting material holds moisture well without being wet (things like dampened long-fiber sphagnum moss), then dampen it. If the material does not, then make a humidity bag by sewing some long-fibered sphagnum moss in a linen or cotton bag. Soak the bag and hang it in the hide.

Humid hides simulate burrows, etc. and help provide a variety of microhabitats.

Live plants with low, broad leaves (like hosta) the torts can hide under help as well.

Carina and Stu said:
Thank you Michael, I think I'll try these out on Stu. Hopefully he'll like it!

African Land Snails look awesome! I'd get some if they were not illegal to import or own in the US without the proper permits. (like in https://michigan.michigan.gov/documents/MDA_Giant_African_Land_Snail_Fact_Sheet_92709_7.pdf)

Status
Not open for further replies.