Pumpkin made a strange clicking sound...

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Just to let you know, today is only my second day of official tortoise ownership (although I have done extensive research which has included reading all of the wonderful Hermann's tortoise care sheets on TFO), so please excuse me if my questions are silly or I'm overly worried. :p

That being said, while I was soaking Pumpkin after I got home from school today, he made a clicking sound. It definitely wasn't the result of labored breathing or congestion because it seemed more like a vocalization than anything associated with simply respiring. Also, he only did it about four times. It was more of a clacking noise, like from his jaw. Is this a normal vocalization or is it cause for concern, like it's a sign of stress?

Also, during his soak he kind of stuck the lower portion of his face under the water and would blow a little bubble, like he was puffing out through his nares. Do any of your tortoises do this?

macky9326

Scotland
The clicking I'm not sure off, but most tortoises drink by dunking the lower portion of there heads under the water, so I wouldn't be to concerned about that. :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've heard all of my torts do jaw/beak clicks. I have also heard them make strange croaking sounds and I'm not sure that's normal LOL.

Elohi(Earth)

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
I've heard all of my torts do jaw/beak clicks. I have also heard them make strange croaking sounds and I'm not sure that's normal LOL.

Elohi(Earth)

Oh good, I'm glad Pumpkin isn't the only one. Do you have any idea why tortoises may do this? I hope I'm not scaring him too badly. He seems to get nervous around me (after all he's only been here for two days). He doesn't run away or hide in one space in his enclosure all day, but if I hover over him he does that little head-bobbing, shoulder-shrugging breathing gesture.