Pseudomonas!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
I have had a tortoise with pseudomonas before. By the time I took him to the vet, he had already done a round of Baytril and that didn't help at all. Once the culture confirmed he had psuedomonas, I believe the vet prescribed ciproflaxicin, which I gave to him orally. It cleared up right away and he is still grazing my yard today. I'm sure he will do fine. Let us know how he's doing!

I am pretty sure that Baytryl (enrofloxacin) and Cipro (ciprofloxacin) are nearly the same thing. One is veterinary (Baytryl) and the other is for humans (Cipro). They are both broad spectrum anti-biotics. A good Vet should do a culture to determine which antibiotic is most effective against what infection. Aerobic, anaerobic, gram negative, gram positive, etc...
Baytryl is a powerful antibiotic. But it is also metabolized in the liver, and can compromise that organ if it is not healthy. The injection itself can be very painful. I am a Vet Tech in training so I am no expert, but a good vet will prescribe a more specific antibiotic before reaching for the big gun Baytryl.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
He did have a culture... Vet wants to give him Ciproflaxacin.

acrantophis said:
kimber_lee_314 said:
I have had a tortoise with pseudomonas before. By the time I took him to the vet, he had already done a round of Baytril and that didn't help at all. Once the culture confirmed he had psuedomonas, I believe the vet prescribed ciproflaxicin, which I gave to him orally. It cleared up right away and he is still grazing my yard today. I'm sure he will do fine. Let us know how he's doing!

I am pretty sure that Baytryl (enrofloxacin) and Cipro (ciprofloxacin) are nearly the same thing. One is veterinary (Baytryl) and the other is for humans (Cipro). They are both broad spectrum anti-biotics. A good Vet should do a culture to determine which antibiotic is most effective against what infection. Aerobic, anaerobic, gram negative, gram positive, etc...
Baytryl is a powerful antibiotic. But it is also metabolized in the liver, and can compromise that organ if it is not healthy. The injection itself can be very painful. I am a Vet Tech in training so I am no expert, but a good vet will prescribe a more specific antibiotic before reaching for the big gun Baytryl.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
DO NOT GO WITHOUT AN ANTIBIOTIC.
It doesn't matter that he's looking good. If he has pseudomonas, he needs an antibiotic, full stop. If you can get Cipro administered orally, go for it. I would prefer a narrow spectrum antibiotic instead, so you can ask your vet if there's something more specific that will kill mostly just the pseudomonas.

BUT

Do NOT go without medication!!

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Talka said:
DO NOT GO WITHOUT AN ANTIBIOTIC.
It doesn't matter that he's looking good. If he has pseudomonas, he needs an antibiotic, full stop. If you can get Cipro administered orally, go for it. I would prefer a narrow spectrum antibiotic instead, so you can ask your vet if there's something more specific that will kill mostly just the pseudomonas.

BUT

Do NOT go without medication!!

Ok. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.