Prominent Ridges on Belly

Sommer

Hello, we adopted out our desert tortoise hatchlings last October and they all seem to be doing well. However, one little guy is starting to develop prominent ridges along his belly. His new mom is feeding him endive and forages for food for him around their yard as well.

Is this a nutritional deficiency? If so, any clue as to what kind? I don't think she's providing him any supplements.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 24

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Not sure about the plastron but his little hind legs look very skinny. @Yvonne G knows this species, lets see if she chimes in. I'd diversify his diet A LOT MORE. Store bought greens are NOT bad by definition as long as there is a big variety. I have raised 2 baby redfooted for 2 yrs on store bought food and they are big monsters, strong, active and healthy. Many stores sell dandelion greens, cactus pads, collard greens, carrot green tops... and how about the hibiscus leaves and flowers, grape leaves? And what about trying Mazuri? I hear that Mazuri is great for fattening up little sickly babies. I'd encourage this baby's new mom to read the desert tortoise care sheets and review the diet section. I'm mostly comfortable feeding my omnivorous torties who can eat fruits, veggies and animal protein. Desert torts' diet is different, but the greens listed above, cactus, chemical free weeds I believe are this same. Pet stores sell herbivorous tortoise dry food, I'd try couple different brands, soak the kibble, mash it up and mix into the salad of good greens and finely chopped cactus (which is one of a tort superfoods loaded with calcium). That, keeping this baby nice and warm, humid, daily soaking and sunning (or good UVB lamp) and I think he'll start putting on some meat and little fat on those skinny bones. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello, we adopted out our desert tortoise hatchlings last October and they all seem to be doing well. However, one little guy is starting to develop prominent ridges along his belly. His new mom is feeding him endive and forages for food for him around their yard as well.

Is this a nutritional deficiency? If so, any clue as to what kind? I don't think she's providing him any supplements.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Most people keep this species far too dry and dehydrated. Most "experts", websites, breeders and vets all give the same bad advice of dry substrate and keep them outside. Once week soaks are the normal recommendation. Frankly, I am surprised that any of them survive, and most of them don't.

They need hydration to survive and thrive. The typical way we've been keeping them for decades is all wrong.

Does this baby get access to direct sun? Does it have indoor UV? How often does the new Mom soak it? I see the dry substrate in the picture, but does it have a humid hide somewhere?

I typed this up for russian tortoises, but care for DTs is the same. I've saved dozens of DT babies using these methods and babies in my care thrive. Give it a read through and share it with this baby's new caretaker:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/