Prickly Pear Cactus Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scawtey

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I ordered some from Arizona Tortoise Compound (SUPER FAST SHIPPING, THANKS!) and it just arrived. So this is my first time ever seeing this fruit and I'm wondering what the best way to feed it to my 1 year old Sulcata Tortoise is?

Should I just cut a small chunk and leave it in his food dish?

Also how often should I give him a chunk of this, and can I freeze this fruit so it doesn't spoil?

Thanks in advance for the help!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I just got some today myself I just sliced it up my leo's chowed it down they loved it:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I run it under the tap and rub it down with thick rubber gloves to remove any lingering glocchids. Then I usually slice it lengthwise into wedges for smaller tortoises and serve it on bed of greens. Never tried to freeze or refridgerate it. It lasts for months if you just leave sitting out in the open, but not in direct sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's sporadic. I scrounge a lot of my food, so when I find some cactus fruit, I feed it to them. If I get a lot, it might last for a few feedings and then I'm out until I find some more. On average, they probably eat it 8-10 times a year.

Scawtey

5 Year Member
Ooo alright. I may use it once a week or every two weeks to sweeten the deal on eating his calcium supplement :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.