Preventing "Flip overs"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hercules and Hazel (My 3 month old Sulcata's) constantly flip themselves over. They do it themselves and are always in a corner of their enclosure flipped over. How do I prevent them flipping over? I put rocks in the corners of the enclosure but they still flip over I don't know if the rocks are enabling them to do this or not? I'm just worried that they might die or get sick if they are flipped over too long while I'm out. Today I came home to Hercules flipped over in the corner with the UVB light. He seems fine and energetic. Is there any way to prevent this? Does it hurt them to be flipped over in a period of time?

Attachments

• image-2230298222.png
    image-2230298222.png
    212 KB · Views: 70

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
First, definitely take the rocks out of the corners, That is only helping the flip over. If they continue to do it try rounding your corners with some thick cardboard or plastic. That should keep them from flipping over constantly.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
RE: Preventing "Flip overs"?

jeffbens0n said:
First, definitely take the rocks out of the corners, That is only helping the flip over. If they continue to do it try rounding your corners with some thick cardboard or plastic. That should keep them from flipping over constantly.

Thanks! I took them out. Now I shall see if they still do it.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
i never put anything in Coopers area besides his food and water dishs and his 2 hides. I never want to chance him flipping over.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You may want to put some plants in the center if the enclosure to serve as some place of interest to maybe get them a place to hide in/under.....also it will provide a place of a bit more humidity....like 3 plants left in their containers slightly sunk into the substrate but not so low that they can use the ledge of the pot as a goal...you know? Also I would remove the rocks from the enclosure all together....what are you using for the substrate? I would also maybe not have the heat and uvb bulb pointing in the corner areas directly until they get through this stage...:D and IMHO that is....

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona

ascott said:
You may want to put some plants in the center if the enclosure to serve as some place of interest to maybe get them a place to hide in/under.....also it will provide a place of a bit more humidity....like 3 plants left in their containers slightly sunk into the substrate but not so low that they can use the ledge of the pot as a goal...you know? Also I would remove the rocks from the enclosure all together....what are you using for the substrate? I would also maybe not have the heat and uvb bulb pointing in the corner areas directly until they get through this stage...:D and IMHO that is....

Thank you! I'll see if I can get some plants. I removed the rocks but one just won't leave the corner alone (hasn't flipped yet). For their substrate I'm using cypress mulch..I try to wet it down but it ends up drying up to quickly since I don't have a top to their enclosure which means really no humidity except maybe in their hide. I spray their shell 3-4 times a day and soak them once daily to prevent dehydration and pyramiding.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hmmmm...I think you will really want to rig some type of top to lay across it....what is the size of your enclosure.....a top will also limit their interest of "up"....what things are above and around the edges of their enclosure...anything bright and able to be mistaken for something yummy?..squat down to their level and look up....see anything fun? Let us know what measurements are for your enclosure and we can come up with some suggestions for a topper.....:D

B

byerssusan

I had trouble with Phoenix flipping also. First it was just the plain corner and sides..Then I added rocks..didn't help...then I added a plant with a rock in front of it..didnt work..I made the sides higher that didnt work...Finally I just left the plant there..In the ground..Phoenix has not flipped over since. Here is Phoenix flipping trick:
Just click pick

M

Maggie Cummings

I think you don't have enough substrate for starters. I put 6 or 7 inches of substrate so they can burrow under if they want. Also I keep the substrate wet so that creates humidity. Yours are trying to escape (and that makes them tip over) because they are not happy there. Your enclosure is too small and that *probably* means your light is too hot and you are cooking those babies. I am not sure if you set up your picture or not but to have both of them trying to climb the glass tells me they are not happy in that enclosure.

To answer your question, yes, being on their backs under a hot light can kill them. Being on their backs for a long time can kill or damage them. Their lungs are under the top of their carapace, so if they are on their backs there is a lot of pressure put on their lungs. So basically while they CAN live on their backs for a while without any damage it is still not a good idea.

You can put some aluminum foil over half of the top and that will help hold the humidity in AFTER you put more substrate in. You will not create any humidity with such a small amount of substrate...

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona

ascott said:
Hmmmm...I think you will really want to rig some type of top to lay across it....what is the size of your enclosure.....a top will also limit their interest of "up"....what things are above and around the edges of their enclosure...anything bright and able to be mistaken for something yummy?..squat down to their level and look up....see anything fun? Let us know what measurements are for your enclosure and we can come up with some suggestions for a topper.....:D

Their enclosure is 2ft by 3ft. I don't see anything that might be "tempting" for them when they look up...the flooring of the enclosure is a plastic bottom from a large dog crate I have and the sides of it show black.

maggie3fan said:
I think you don't have enough substrate for starters. I put 6 or 7 inches of substrate so they can burrow under if they want. Also I keep the substrate wet so that creates humidity. Yours are trying to escape (and that makes them tip over) because they are not happy there. Your enclosure is too small and that *probably* means your light is too hot and you are cooking those babies. I am not sure if you set up your picture or not but to have both of them trying to climb the glass tells me they are not happy in that enclosure.

To answer your question, yes, being on their backs under a hot light can kill them. Being on their backs for a long time can kill or damage them. Their lungs are under the top of their carapace, so if they are on their backs there is a lot of pressure put on their lungs. So basically while they CAN live on their backs for a while without any damage it is still not a good idea.

You can put some aluminum foil over half of the top and that will help hold the humidity in AFTER you put more substrate in. You will not create any humidity with such a small amount of substrate...

I'll put the rest of my substrate in and see but whether I have an inch thick of substrate or 5inch its not going to be humid since the enclosure doesn't have a top. I know I'm not "cooking" them if anything it needs to be warmer and way more humid in their enclosure. Their enclosure is made from wood not glass. I'm only 17 and don't have a job or my license yet so getting everything I need for them is hard when my parents don't understand.

EKLC

5 Year Member
I had this problem too with a similar enclosure (wood sides). First, that little step (the black thing that surrounds the enclosure) allows them to get in prime flipping position. What I did was fill the substrate above that line.

Second, the sharp 90 degree corner can give them some grip to get up. I got some cheap plastic sheeting from the hardware store, and put it down in the enclosure. This rounded the corners, and I don't think my tort liked climbing the plastic. Also, with plastic under the substrate, there won't be any mold on the wood even when the humidity is bumped up. I used the same plastic and a PVC pipe frame to cover my enclosure too btw, which is a good way to keep temps and humidity up for about $10.

More hiding areas makes torts feel more comfortable in their environment. In the wide open, torts seem to have an urge to roam. They like plants, and maybe a pile of moss to nuzzle up against.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Hi, i would add alot of substrate and maybe put a hide in a couple of the corners. or angle the substrate so it had a decent slant into the corner making it harder for them to climb. Also, Is that a Coil uvb bulb? if so those are know to cause blindness and other issues in baby torts. I for have expereniced this first hand with my baby sulcata. I would make the switch over to a Mercury vapor bulb.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know the past couple days have been good I haven't seen either of them flipped over since I've taken the rocks out and added more substrate. :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.