Pretty Cool!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
In the world of Spider tortoises it is not very common to get two eggs the same day. The females lay a single egg clutch. It just so happened August 9th I had two females lay the same day in their outside enclosure. The eggs were incubated the same way, side by side. Again very uncommon for any two Spider eggs to incubate the same duration. I have seen all kinds of differing numbers. Well this afternoon, I found these two lovely babies looking at me from inside the incubator. Laid on the same day, hatched on the same day, quite amazing!!! And at only 156 days from being laid, the new incubation strategy is looking good!! I can't wait to see what they look like!!!

photo-25.jpg

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Pretty amazing, I cant wait to see what they look like either. Keep us updated on what they look like

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Love it! Congratulations and welcome to the world little ones!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
That's awesome! Congratulations! I can't wait to see what they look like too!

Rtill

10 Year Member!
Tim/Robin said:
In the world of Spider tortoises it is not very common to get two eggs the same day. The females lay a single egg clutch. It just so happened August 9th I had two females lay the same day in their outside enclosure. The eggs were incubated the same way, side by side. Again very uncommon for any two Spider eggs to incubate the same duration. I have seen all kinds of differing numbers. Well this afternoon, I found these two lovely babies looking at me from inside the incubator. Laid on the same day, hatched on the same day, quite amazing!!! And at only 156 days from being laid, the new incubation strategy is looking good!! I can't wait to see what they look like!!!

photo-25.jpg

Awesome!

markooij82

5 Year Member
Congradulations once again
A two mom twin !!!!
How lovely !
Can you tell us more about the new incubation strategy ?

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Hey Tim, it looks like someone is breaking out a very nice window in the eggs after they pipp. :) lol
Congrats my friend!
Scott

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
skottip said:
Hey Tim, it looks like someone is breaking out a very nice window in the eggs after they pipp. :) lol
Congrats my friend!
Scott

Seems like I learned that from the best!! I still remember that conversation!! :)

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I have previously warmed the eggs to 86F immediately after being laid. I continued this warming for 5 weeks. Then the eggs would be cooled to 60-70F for 8 weeks. Then they would go back in the incubator for the duration. This year, I cooled them immediatly after being laid to 60-70F for 5 weeks. Then they went to the incubator and started to develop. It seems that the key here is the cooling period. I basically cut the overall incubation time down by 5-6 weeks :).

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Tim, there's an old saying. It's better to learn from "someone elses" mistakes. lol
Looking forward to seeing them out of the eggs.
:)
Scott

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You two have got to be the luckiest people alive. You have such beautiful tortoises and seem to be having great breeding results. Love those pictures.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Here are the twins!!!!! They are gorgeous!

photo-26.jpg

photo-27.jpg

emysemys said:
You two have got to be the luckiest people alive. You have such beautiful tortoises and seem to be having great breeding results. Love those pictures.

We couldn't agree more!!! We are very fortunate to work with such a rare and beautiful species.

skottip said:
Tim, there's an old saying. It's better to learn from "someone elses" mistakes. lol
Looking forward to seeing them out of the eggs.
:)
Scott

I am proud to say I learned it from you Scott!!!! :D

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
omg! they are gorgeous! so happy you have got twins there. great job. been wondering what they were going to look like. bravo! post more of them , cant get enough baby pictures. 'lol'

Status
Not open for further replies.