Pothos anyone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Tn
I was wondering which species can tolerate the toxicity of Pothos. I feed them to the skinks I have quite readily, but was always warned not to use them like I do mulberry leaves with tortoises.

Recently I read all manouria can eat them without any ill side effects. Any other species?

I have to use my phone to type, so my apologies for the misspellings, forgotten/added/repeated words and wrong punctuation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since pothos is native to South America, I would assume the South American tortoises can tolerate it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I use them in with my redfoots and cherryheads, along with the hingebacks. None of my animals have eaten them however. I did have a hatchling cherry take a taste, but that was it.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
My Rosie ate half a leaf of golden pothos and had no ill effects. She did have greens available but felt like variety I guess. In my future enclosure I think I'll put some up on a ledge out of eating's way, but to help keep up humidity and the tropical feel.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Elongated, forsten, travancore, and all my manouria devour it. Its a main staple I feed give them access to. My refs dont really touch it but the yellow foots will sometimes.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I use it in my box turtle cages , but the most they have ever eaten is one bite with no ill effects !

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
Thank you everyone!! That us fantastic news :)) the plants I feed the skinks have run a muck in my office, so it will give me an excuse to trim them down.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
safari_lass1 said:
Thank you everyone!! That us fantastic news :)) the plants I feed the skinks have run a muck in my office, so it will give me an excuse to trim them down.

Just snip a vine off and put in the dirt and it will start to root and grow a new plant. Well if its not eaten first, ha.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
tortadise said:
Just snip a vine off and put in the dirt and it will start to root and grow a new plant. Well if its not eaten first, ha.

I am in the process of creating a worm farm, so I have plenty of organic soil. Fantastic!!

Has anyone used sweet potato vine? That stuff grows even faster than Pothos.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
safari_lass1 said:
I am in the process of creating a worm farm, so I have plenty of organic soil. Fantastic!!

Sweet potato as in the actual potato ? Sorry I don't know too much about plants

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
safari_lass1 said:
tortadise said:

Have not tried it yet. But yes it does grow like crazy.

turtletania

5 Year Member
could you please post a photo of the pothos plant you are referring to. I have elongate and yellow foot... so if I have a photo I can try to find it.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
tortadise said:
Have not tried it yet. But yes it does grow like crazy.

It can be toxic, mainly the wilted leaves. Aluminum toxicity, same as the morning glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.