Potential Tortoise Owner, and I Have Some Questions

TCZaro

Location (City and/or State)
New England
Hello everyone, I do not currently own a tortoise, but have been interested in having one for a while. Before I fully commit I have some "personal" questions for current tortoise owners. If anyone could answer any of these it would be greatly appreciated.
How old were you when you got your first tortoise?
How did your family/friends react to this decision (especially for kids/teens still living with family)?
How did you know that your future conditions (economic/geographic/health) would allow you to care for a pet for such a long time?
Do you think owning a tortoise is a bigger commitment than owning a dog/cat?
Thanks for your time if you choose to answer any of these questions.

puffy137

1)I had Jack my first tortoise when I was about 10,
2) The decision was made by my mother ,
3) My parents hoped they would outlive the tortoise , they did !!
4) Luckily Jack would hibernate for the winter in a box in the greenhouse, so for months he was no trouble at all .:D:D:D

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :)
1. 47 years old
2. They thought i was crazy to want a tortoise. All the kids moved out so I turned one of the bedrooms into a tortoise room :) I use book cases as there enclosures.
3. I have the money to take care of them and when I die my daughter will take over there care if she cant she knows to go on this forum to find them all good homes.
4. Yes they are a bigger commitment then a dog or cat in my opinion.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I got my teenage son my first tort. When he moved out i took over and added 5 more. With the kids moving out i have the resorces to care for them. We can never know the future. I definitely think it is a bigger commitment than a dog or cat. Caring for them properly is some work. You can't just go to the store for food. In the winter you have to have a plan for food and warm enclosure for example. My family thinks i am a little crazy, but they love my tortoises too.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Well ice had reptiles most of my life . I love them all . But 15 years ago I met my wife and she is a frade of snakes . So one day I came home with a RES and apond . And I'm 59 years old. Now . The kids love my turtles and torts . And my future , that's a good question but kids, house , wife or turtle or torts it all the same anser . And last yes the turtles and torts are a bigger commitment

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I am 31 and just got my 1st tortoise about 3 weeks ago. My husband isn't fond of the idea of Shrimp, but I don't think I have heard him call him "Soup" once today. So I think he will come around eventually. I am a stay at home mom, but my husband makes enough money (not a LOT, but enough)that I know I can pay for everything our tortoise needs- even with the tortoise being a gift I have easily spent more than $200 getting everything set up, and once he grows a few inches he will be needing a whole new enclosure! I also know that he is the only tortoise we will ever have (sulcata need a lot of space once they get bigger) and now we will never get a dog because the yard will be a tortoise safe zone. I have 5 kids that all love the tortoise, so I know that someday one of them will take over his care.

It is a big commitment, and I honestly don't think that I would have done a good job raising a tortoise as a teenager. I don't even think I would have done a good job 5 years ago. But now 4 of the 5 kids are in school, I am NOT having anymore babies, my husband's job is stable, we have been in our house 7 years now and have no doubts about being able to pay the mortgage. And i have a little extra time to have a hobby that isn't directly related to raising kids. I also think it is a DIFFERENT commitment than having a dog or cat. It needs different kind of attention and care. For me- I can handle the tortoise care, I would not be good taking care of a dog or cat.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. You have great questions!

I got my 2 torts last year. I'm over 40 and have no kids, so the decision didn't affect anyone else except me and my partner. My partner is very supportive and enjoys the tortoises just as much as I do.

We also have dogs, so I can tell you that owning dogs is very different. But how big the commitment is, is up to you. You need to invest a lot more time with dogs because they require interaction, attention, and training. Torts don't require any training, don't seek your attention, and aren't as interactive as dogs and cats. But dogs have much shorter life spans than torts and they can share your own space; i.e., same enviro factors. Torts will require you to control a different enviro for them; eg, temperature, humidity, lighting, etc.

Also, the length of the commitment is a lot longer with torts. Depending on your age and the age and species of the tortoise you choose, it's likely that they'll outlive you. Mine will certainly outlive me, so I need to find heirs. If you're a younger person, you need to consider the fact that you'll likely be going away to college.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck on your research. :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Alaskamike

South Florida
I want to respond to the question about how to know if your future living conditions will allow for a tortoise.
The idea of " forever homes," and lifelong commitment is a great goal but a bit romanticized to me. Certainly nothing lasts forever , situations and we change with age, and life throws us curve balls on a fairly regular basis. Rehoming of pets sometimes is necessary. And tortoises ( in my opinion) are not emotionally attached to their keepers.
Depending on care - health - and type of tortoise they can be re homed.

I think in some ways a tortoise can be easier to keep long term that some other pets. You are young. But will always need a place to live. If you chose one of the smaller species you can always find room.

I wish I had kept a red foot back when in my 20's. If I had , we would have now been together 40 years. That would be interesting for sure.

Good fortune.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If the reaction of your family and friends is important to you, then perhaps you should not get a tortoise. Or wait. My dad taught me many years ago that a decision that needs outside support or validation or permission is one that I've already answered in the negative. When you're certain and committed, and able to carry out your intentions, no one else's opinion matters. Parents are one thing, but why would you care what your friends think?

I got a gulf coast box turtle when I was 24, and we've been together more than 38 years so far. There were a few occasions when I had to remind my spouse that the turtles were here first.

There were childhood failures, the death bowl turtle, the wild caught boxie my neighbor buried alive in the name of hibernation... It's hard to be a kid and have access to what tortoises need if your parents aren't behind you.

puffy137

I want to respond to the question about how to know if your future living conditions will allow for a tortoise.
The idea of " forever homes," and lifelong commitment is a great goal but a bit romanticized to me. Certainly nothing lasts forever , situations and we change with age, and life throws us curve balls on a fairly regular basis. Rehoming of pets sometimes is necessary. And tortoises ( in my opinion) are not emotionally attached to their keepers.
Depending on care - health - and type of tortoise they can be re homed.

I think in some ways a tortoise can be easier to keep long term that some other pets. You are young. But will always need a place to live. If you chose one of the smaller species you can always find room

I wish I had kept a red foot back when in my 20's. If I had , we would have now been together 40 years. That would be interesting for sure.

Good fortune.
And if you had provided your red foot with a mate you would have been a grandfather to many by now.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Manetamer
I'm sorry we haven't met but AZ , northwest ? :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum