Possible breathing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Hi folks- I've got some concerns that my Bells HB may be having some breathing issues. His head kind of bobs all the time and he seems to breath heavier every time he moves anywhere. He also gapes his mouth wide for several seconds at a time periodically. Tiny bit of moisture around the nostrils first thing in the morning.

He eats well and drinks daily and comes out of his hide to bask regularly. He is curious and explores his tank, but always looks like he's a little out of breath. Any thoughts?

Tank conditions are:
warm side Temp - 80-85
Cool side temp - ~75
Bask temp - 90-95
Humidity- ~ 60-80%

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I dont know why he
would be doing that.
Someone will hopefully
help you soon. I am so
sorry but I dont have any
answers for you.
Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You might try squirting some sterile saline up both nostrils. You can buy it in the contact lens aisle at the pharmacy, and you can usually find it in a squeeze bottle. Squirt with a little bit of pressure, enough pressure to dislodge anything that might be stuck up there. Don't worry about the liquid getting into the tortoise's lungs, because the other end of the nares ends up in the tortoise's mouth, not down his throat.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
You might try squirting some sterile saline up both nostrils. You can buy it in the contact lens aisle at the pharmacy, and you can usually find it in a squeeze bottle. Squirt with a little bit of pressure, enough pressure to dislodge anything that might be stuck up there. Don't worry about the liquid getting into the tortoise's lungs, because the other end of the nares ends up in the tortoise's mouth, not down his throat.

Thanks. I don't think anything is blocking his nasal passage, but it certainly can't hurt to try. And I learned something new about about tortoise nares. Thank you for that! I just saw him splash into his pond and shoot water out of both nares, so I doubt there's a blockage. When he pants hard he's really inflating his throat (like a frog).

It may be that I'm overreacting to nothing, but I'm still green to tort ownership and am not sure. Keep the insights coming folks, I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.