Poop started having orange in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

ri0ku

5 Year Member
Hello, I cant seem to find any answers to this but since yesterday I noticed my horsefield tortoise (Moscow) has had a lot of orange in his stools. Yesterday it seems like quite a large amount and this is the first it has happened. Today he has again pooped but this time its more its normal colour but still has orange in it.

Is this a cause for concern? He is drinking fine and as I type this is chomping away on some food and seems like his usual self.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
what is his diet like?

ri0ku

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
what is his diet like?

Well I normally feed him on dandelions, baby gem lettuce, carrots and sometimes we get these mixed packs of vegetables all leafy different types of lettuces and leaves. I make sure he doesnt get iceberg lettuce etc though.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I would imagine the orange is from the carrots, is it firm or runny?

How much carrot does he get?

ri0ku

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I would imagine the orange is from the carrots, is it firm or runny?

How much carrot does he get?

Well hes had carrot for a long time now and its never been this orange colour. Its actually not as firm as it normally is it is a little more runny, today it seems to be a bit firmer than yesterday though.

He seems genuinely ok, hes moving around fine and eating greens and has been drinking. I only cant seem to get him off his wood chips though if I remove his wood chips and replace it with soil and sand he wont eat... I have tried this 3 times now... and he refuses to eat for days until I get the wood chips back in.

I have noticed he has ate a wood chip before and was worried incase this has caused any damage but I found it in a stool a few days ago which was the normal firm brown colour and it was within that.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It is possible then that the wood chip caused some internal damage. I wouldn't worry yet,keep an eye on him and his poop. If the color gets worse you might need a vet visit, but right now I think it might just be diet related. Food can sometimes cause color changes in poop, excessive dandelion consumption can cause the urates to turn pink.

ri0ku

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
It is possible then that the wood chip caused some internal damage. I wouldn't worry yet,keep an eye on him and his poop. If the color gets worse you might need a vet visit, but right now I think it might just be diet related. Food can sometimes cause color changes in poop, excessive dandelion consumption can cause the urates to turn pink.

Thank you for your replies, really appreciate it. I hope the chip hasnt caused any damage. He seems fine and hasnt changed his behaviour so I hope it might just be an odd diet issue which can be resolved easily.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
When I say damage I mean it more than likely poked his intestine, as long as it is small and minor it should heal on it's own, if it was serious damage you more than likely would have noticed changes in his behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.