poop question

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
eok not the greatest topic....

however, I noticed that Romeo doesnt really poop in his enclosure, I keep looking so I can clean up after him, but the only time he really poops alot is when I soak him. He will do several, I change water, repeat.. then once he is out and about in pen he goes again...
is the warm water stimulating his bowels ? I guess it is kinda nice that he is not stinking up his enclosure and it's very easy clean up for me...
(who knew tort poo smelt like human poo'z ) LOL

also I still have a few weeds outside that the frost has not killed are there any I can feed him or should a greenhorn like me just stick to the greens I buy that I know are safe ?

are pine needles dangerous if I let him walk about near a pine tree we have in our yard on nice days ?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Yes. The warm water will stimulate the Tortoise to poop and pee. Also, he might be going in his pen and then eating it. They do that. It is normal, gross, but normal. He can and will eat many types of weeds. Dandelion, chickory, mallow etc.., Google up a list using the search engine up top and on the right and go to town! I gather up nice bags of edibles all the time. He probable won't even try to eat pine needles. They taste aweful. LOL...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard would only poop in his soaks too when he was younger and living inside the house. Loved it. Now he is outside and poops inside his hide on the pig blanket:(ugh. Enjoy his cleanliness now, it will change:D

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Hokie poops in his food bowl most of the time, then continues eating round it! Our little companions have some grim habits!

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
LOL... it is nice & easy to clean up when he poops in water I just dump it down toilet, I still have yet to find a turd in his tank, I keep looking and it's clean. He did manage to pee on my rug today :p between him and my pups ack... :p ewww I just cant picture eatting poopiez :p gross.. if that wont stop me from wanting to kiss him nothing will :D I started to notice "the fiber" in his (yaa know) poop. I think I did a happy dance cuz someone said it is good and adds bulk... HA! what is a pig blanket.. <feels the need to google this > LOL ack I am google queen lately .. my puter history is Tortoise , tortoise all about tortoise... even noticed FB has ads now on my wall for Tortoise supplies.. now thats just weird, how do they know ?

so a "pig blanket" is a heat mat? I have one on the outside bottom of my enclosure, I want to know if it is safe to put inside a wooden tank under substrate or if I did put on the outside of a wooden box would the heat penetrate the wood giving off enough heat ? I know I know I sound a little stupid asking this ....