Pool chemicals and torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdcoon69

5 Year Member
So, I've been allowing my torts out to graze in the grass on nice days (which are frequent in the Phoenix area, but not so much of late). They've been out at least twice in the past few weeks, but never before because they are so small. I know there are no pesticides or fertilizers used on this area, but I recently realized that my pool pump sits in this section of the yard. As such, I have backwashed the pool filter into this section of the yard (though not really since the end of summer). I had planned to move the torts into this section of the yard when they get big enough, but now I'm wondering if the backwash pool water might contain chemicals (chlorine, etc.) that might be hazardous to the torts. I guess I could run a backwash hose to the outside of the fence, but I still worry about ground contamination. If I stop backwashing to this area (e.g. use a long hose), how long should I wait before letting them graze there again? For the time being, I've stopped letting them graze in this area, but I'd like to get the opinion of the group (especially anyone that has a similar pool situation). Thanks.

Keith

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
Hi, I was curious about this too because the house I am renting has a hot tub. We sort of ignored it for awhile during the summer, and when I opened it on a whim, I found a frog living in it! I have no idea how he managed to survive in there, I guess the chlorine had dissipated after so long.

Anyways. I researched it a bit, and found this website that has some pretty useful info:

http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/support/library/ff/Chlorine_in_Pool_Water_and_Nearby_Plants.htm

"Chlorine (Cl2) is a corrosive, poisonous gas used to make bleaching agents and disinfectants. The form of chlorine most often added to pool water is solid calcium hypochlorite which forms hypochlorous acid (HOCl) when place in water. Sodium hypochlorite is the active ingredient of common household bleach. Commercial liquid chlorine (compressed chlorine gas) is used as a water treatment to kill bacteria. Hypochlorous acid is the effective agent that controls algae growths in pools.

According to Clemson University, "There should be no effect of pool water splashed on nearby plants from normal pool use. Larger plants (and animals) can tolerate the concentrations that are recommended for pool water."

Dr. Alison Osinski (Aquatic Consulting Services, San Diego, CA) suggests, "If the pool or spa water has a high chlorine content, uncover it and allow the chlorine to dissipate before using the water for irrigating the landscape. Or, chemically remove the chlorine by adding solium thiosulfate of sodium sulfite to the water."

Chloride (Cl-) is the ionic form of chlorine found in nature. It has a negative charge and is often associated with sodium (common table salt) or other positively charged ions like potassium. It is non-toxic and readily absorbed and used by plants. "

I found another (less reputable looking) site that said "Chlorine can interact with organic matter like leaves and dirt to form toxic trihalomethanes. These compounds have been linked with an increased risk of cancer, miscarriage, and birth defects."
http://health.families.com/blog/is-pool-chlorine-bad-for-you

I think since your torts are little, I wouldn't risk it if I were you. It may be safe for people and "large" plants and animals, but your little torts would be eating and digging around in it, and that just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
What I did during the summer for my little ones was fill a kiddie pool with dirt and edible plants and things to climb over. It worked out really well because they could burrow in it, I knew exactly what they were eating, and I knew they couldn't escape (after I added a lid).

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.