PM Layer Crumbles experiment

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Received my 32 oz. bag of Purina Mills Layer Crumbles as well as 4 oz. dried hibiscus leaves yesterday from Kapidolofarms.com. William Espenshade was kind enough to include a sample pack of rooibos as well (not pictured). I made a 1 cup serving of Repashy Grassland Grazer mixed with 2 heaping tsps dried hibiscus and 1 heaping tbs rooiboos. I'm happy to report that Ghost TORE IT UP!!!

Attachments

• 20230928_171316.jpg
    20230928_171316.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The repashy is suppose to be made into a gel. Did you just sprinkle it on dry?
It's not cheap stuff, it's more of a meal when made according to the directions. My torts love it, been using it for years.
Been feeding crumbles for years too. Yvonne was the first one I know of that suggested the use of the crumbles way back.
Glad they like it. Try the repashy in the gel form.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Received my 32 oz. bag of Purina Mills Layer Crumbles as well as 4 oz. dried hibiscus leaves yesterday from Kapidolofarms.com. William Espenshade was kind enough to include a sample pack of rooibos as well (not pictured). I made a 1 cup serving of Repashy Grassland Grazer mixed with 2 heaping tsps dried hibiscus and 1 heaping tbs rooiboos. I'm happy to report that Ghost TORE IT UP!!!
I'm glad to hear this. The OrganiC layer crumbles and Repashy both have the same 'lack' and that is sufficient fiber. This 'lack' is somewhat dependent on the size of the tortoise, it's relative.

I'm always glad to support shared trials. I'll offer more samples size items in tour next order Tim.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
The repashy is suppose to be made into a gel. Did you just sprinkle it on dry?
It's not cheap stuff, it's more of a meal when made according to the directions. My torts love it, been using it for years.
Been feeding crumbles for years too. Yvonne was the first one I know of that suggested the use of the crumbles way back.
Glad they like it. Try the repashy in the gel form.
No. I simply added 1/4 cup more water than is called for, then mixed in the crumble, hibiscus, and roobikos. Gel came out perfect. I actually got the idea of using crumbles from one of Yvonnes posts. The more I read up on it, the more I wanted to try it. And yeah, the Repashy is very expensive ($105 for the 4.4 lb jar). I figured I could use the crumbles as filler (like a crab cake) and get nearly twice the gel yield. Worked better than I expected.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I'm glad to hear this. The OrganiC layer crumbles and Repashy both have the same 'lack' and that is sufficient fiber. This 'lack' is somewhat dependent on the size of the tortoise, it's relative.

I'm always glad to support shared trials. I'll offer more samples size items in tour next order Tim.
Appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you said "experiment" I was hoping you were going to do a long term feeding trial with groups of clutch mates. One group with the crumbles and one group without... Oh well...

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
When you said "experiment" I was hoping you were going to do a long term feeding trial with groups of clutch mates. One group with the crumbles and one group without... Oh well...
Sorry to disappoint.... I only have one sulcata :)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I guess the main point of my "experiment" was to see if I could increase the yield of the gel while maintaining consistency, palatable, and nutrition. Repashy is getting rediculous expensive. I used to pay around $70/ jar a few years ago, and now it's $105 plus shipping. I'm hoping this'll ease the pain a bit.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I do have a Gel Kit, and the recipe is online at the sale point on the web page, so you can get incredibly better economy .
I've ordered a gel kit from you before and intend to do so again. I need to get rid of the rest of my Repashy first. I've been perusing your site for loose leaf items as well. He really loved the roobicos sample pack you sent.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I've ordered a gel kit from you before and intend to do so again. I need to get rid of the rest of my Repashy first. I've been perusing your site for loose leaf items as well. He really loved the roobicos sample pack you sent.
I reached out to farmers in RSA that grow rooibos, before I considered carrying it. I asked if they had seen native tortoises eating it. Most said they never saw it being consumed. But, finally one replied with some actull observation. They said most rooibos grows higher up than a tortoise could reach, but small plants can be eaten from. Most of the organic, wild crafted, and traditional collection of rooibos is from native growth. I could not locate by email anyone who had planted it intently for the tea.

I got excited to include it in the store once I had the one conformation. I tried it here and I can't really say it created more interest for eating, but it certainly did not make any of the tortoises shy away from food. remind me with your next order and I'll include Honeybush, a very similar story for inclusion to the store. However Honeybush has a very different distinct aroma, it's my favorite item to pack.