Plexiglass Problem

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sweet Home Chicago
I have the ZooMed Tortoise House (yes I know, I regret it) for 2 Cherryhead hatchlings. I had a humidity problem until someone suggested I put plexiglass on the top of the habitat.
Great idea - was able to get the heat and humidity where it needs to be. But - the heat from the lamp (ZooMed Power Sun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 watt) which is 3 inches above it, is causing the plexiglass to warp. Do you have any suggestions? Is there something else I can use that can withstand the heat? If I used thicker plexiglass I would have to lower the heat closer to make up for the insulating properties of the plexiglass. I hope this makes sense. I appreciate all comments.
totrtoise table .jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You are running into the problems that cause most of us to stay away from table type enclosures. To keep humidity up you need to cover it. But then you need your heat and light under the cover. In fact as you have it now, the plexiglass is filtering out almost all of the UVB from your powersun. UVB is filtered by glass, plexiglass and by 50% even through screen. You need to add height to the enclosure so the heat and lighting can be inside the enclosure. Then you may find the powersun gets too hot for your enclosure so you will need to experiment and test and check temps. Some cut a hole in the plexiglas and seal around the powersun with aluminum foil. That can be a quicker fix that you could make work

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I had that issue when mine was small, I had to make several modifications to that zoomed house. I will see if I can find pics of what I did. It ended up working great until mine out grew it.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
You are running into the problems that cause most of us to stay away from table type enclosures. To keep humidity up you need to cover it. But then you need your heat and light under the cover. In fact as you have it now, the plexiglass is filtering out almost all of the UVB from your powersun. UVB is filtered by glass, plexiglass and by 50% even through screen. You need to add height to the enclosure so the heat and lighting can be inside the enclosure. Then you may find the powersun gets too hot for your enclosure so you will need to experiment and test and check temps. Some cut a hole in the plexiglas and seal around the powersun with aluminum foil. That can be a quicker fix that you could make work

As much as I hate to read that - I appreciate your advice. I will cut that hole for now. I am not able to build anything. Do you know of someone that can build a closed habitat - in the US, that can ship it? Or do you know of a set of plans to the perfect enclosure that I can hire a carpenter to build for me? And / Or ;) Should I ask that in a different thread? Thank you.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I agree, but I had the extra wood laying around. Zoo med really needs to improve that enclosure.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
I did a post detailing an enclosed chamber with some plans and cut sheets. Maybe that can help or give you a starting point. I pretty much copied @Tom 's ideas and designs for closed chambers. He has some good threads on those.

Our new Closed Chamber for our new group of Tortoises

I am overwhelmed. That is absolutely amazing. Would you ever consider making another one and shipping to Chicago Area? I am so impressed!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I do enjoy building and it is a fun build. However it would be quite costly to ship as it is so heavy and big. The materials with lighting heat etc would run $600-$800 alone

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I have a few that I have built they are far less polished then Mark's or Tom's but they are quite functional.
( I really like theirs and have borrowed ideas ) They still ran me about 200-400 each.

It really is as simple as building a wooden frame in a square or rectangle covering the sides with plywood and then just adding plastic to line the entire inside.

I have more without the plexiglass doors too but you can't really see in so it just looks like a box.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I had the person that helped build my enclosure cut holes in the plexiglass to exact size for the heat lamp domes (and PRAY they never stop manufacturing them in those exact dimensions) and I find that I don't need to seal the small gaps. I used to, but it was a pain and after I stopped I haven't seen any changes in heat or humidity readings. That may be because the plexiglass was cut pretty precisely on mine, though, since the guy that did it had special tools. NOTE: plexiglass unfortunately also warps from humidity, so you'll have to flip it every now and then to keep gaps from forming.

I cut a hole in the wire mesh as well to minimize the amount of UVB blocked (I use MVB). It's sturdy and attached to a wooden frame. That way I can just put the heat lamps on the wire mesh and the plexiglass secures it and I don't have to worry about lamps falling in. Hanging heat lamps in the enclosure makes me nervous so I prefer this method.

I wonder if you can draw up some plans and have a carpenter near you construct an enclosure for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is not the prettiest habitat on the block, but it works. First I got a Zoo Med light stand:

pPETNA-1851618_main_t300x300.jpg

I removed the top rod, the one with the hook, and put a long piece of PVC pipe on the top bar:

covered enclosure cc.jpg

Then I draped aluminum foil over the PVC:

covered enclosure bb.jpg

And lastly I draped plastic over the foil:

covered enclosure aa.jpg

It gets too hot inside, so I have to keep a corner pulled back to allow the room air to flow in.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Wow - just Wow! I'm looking at all these amazing photos of enclosures and my mind is racing, 'how this would work for me' and 'hey - look at that idea,' and I stopped and thought OMG Look at the things we do for our tortoises. I'm smitten with my two little guys. I'd do anything to provide what they need. Thank you everyone. What I need to do is get a detailed set of plans and then find a carpenter willing to do it. I want it to look nice, as it's in my living room - but must be functionally the best option available.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
20160630_065033.jpg 20160630_065231.jpg
A couple of examples of my redneck way of doing it!.....lol the lights as you see are inside the plastic sheeting, which is far enough from the lamps as to not be an issue.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
@lisa127 That frame is a good idea - with the plastic sheet. I might try that on the table i have now. Thank you.
The larger table just uses those hanger things that come with clamp lamps. I point them straight up in the air to hold the plastic away from the heat.