Please Respond ASAP: Unknown Object next to Tail

Neb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
This afternoon, I checked on my tortoise, and I noticed that there was an odd growth right next to his tail. It just appeared today, and may just be something that got stuck on the way out (is that possible?). I recently began feeding him a new food, and he seemed to be fine with it. He began sleeping in a different location two or three nights ago, if that's helpful. I don't have a picture, but I'll get one soon. What should I do?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Did it go away or is it still there? Is this perhaps sticking out of the opening in his tail? Is it a male tortoise and how old? Wondering if you what you saw is his penis and he flashed you. Some folks describe it as a purplish flower looking object.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We're going to have to wait to see pictures of what you're talking about, sorry.

Neb

5 Year Member
New York
It looks like it is coming out right under his tail. I don't know his gender, but I got him a few months ago (in September).

Neb

5 Year Member
New York
Here are some pictures (I'm sorry if they don't load - this is my first time uploading pics into a post):

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you soaked him for a long warm soak to see if it is retractable...I mean, my first thought is his goodie is what you are looking at....has he been struggling to pee/poo? is he housed alone? hmmm...maybe someone else will have better eyes than mine right now ...I am using my old lady vision right now....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I believe your tortoise has an abscess. Your vet will typically send an aspirated culture to a lab for sensitivity testing. Others will surgically remove the cyst and have that tested, or may just treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic. An abscess is very painful and should never be treated without veterinary supervision.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Laura said:
some sort of prolapse.. keep damp and clean... Vet time..

I was thinking that too......but from what my old eyes can see , it looks as it's to the side of the Cloaca?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
N2TORTS said:
Laura said:
some sort of prolapse.. keep damp and clean... Vet time..

I was thinking that too......but from what my old eyes can see , it looks as it's to the side of the Cloaca?

With the pic being so out of focus its hard to tell but I'll have to agree Laura and N2Torts.

You need a Vet!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, my...this is very serious. It looks like a prolapse that has started to dry out - which is a very bad thing. You've got to keep it moist so it doesn't dry. If it dries, it dies (the prolapsed organ, not the tortoise). If it is a penis, then if it dries out and dies, it will have to be amputated.

What I do with a prolapse until I can get to the vet, is to keep the tortoise sitting in water. Not a whole lot,just enough to keep the prolapsed organ wet. You can also make a paste of sugar and dab the sugar paste on the prolapse. But getting the tortoise to the vet ASAP should be your first priority.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It looks like a prolapse that has started to dry out

Yup, have to agree---I went and put on my glasses and again say it looks as though it is indeed his goodies....yup, put him in a soak and agree with Yvonne...need an experienced vet here...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( *fingers crossed* that this was caught in time and has not dried out. Please keep us posted.

Neb

5 Year Member
New York
I went to the vet, and it was a prolapse. He got some medicine, and all's good. Thank's for helping me. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I went to the vet, and it was a prolapse. He got some medicine, and all's good. Thank's for helping

Did you remain in the room with the vet and the tort? If yes, please elaborate on the procedures that took place...we are also very eager to hear what meds the vet used and how to fix his issue....thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, the vet was able to push the prolapse back inside?