1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Please... Need Help... (desert tortoise with MBD?)

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by Mike6Ram, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

You must be stronger than your tortoise.
    Put good foods in for it and he will eat them when hungry enough.
    Lettuce must be only a small part of his diet.
  2. Mike6Ram

Mike6Ram New Member

I saw this calcium spray am I able to put that on the lettuce so he can at least get calcium and maybe put a little bit of orchard hay on to to see if he eats it too ?
  3. Mike6Ram

Mike6Ram New Member

Well I took out the lettuce and mixed orchard grass and cilantro that's okay right , plus I put zoo med mash on top
  4. maggie3fan

maggie3fan Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd use powdered calcium w/D3. Put him in the sun as much as possible. BUT, it looks like he's got MBD pretty bad. I have been told that MBD is painful, (guess one tort told another and then you know how gossip spreads). But there's also his organs to consider...have they been damaged? I am not trying to discourage you at all. But I believe the comfort of the tort needs to be cared for first. Is he in pain? How does he act when you pick him up? You are going to attempt something most experienced keepers would pass up.Try feeding more weeds and leafs, dandelions....more natural food for him. Lettuce is simply empty calories....
    keep asking questions, and good luck....
  5. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Glad to see you are sticking with us and with your little tortoise that needs so much TLC!
    I agree, NO spinach! Collard and mustard greens, pumpkin squash, kale, so many other good things. Lettuce has basically nothing for him but moisture.
    No harm in a nice warm water and carrot baby food soak either, I think. Keep the water shallow.
  6. Mike6Ram

Mike6Ram New Member

He acts normal like nothing is wrong plays in water , stays in the heat lamp alot though and I always make sure to put water and that he has food , right food , orchard grass zoo med and today I put a pretty small amount of cilantro , when I pick him up he hides at first but than is cool